Old 05-04-2013, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Broad beans and peas.

Sown 2 rows of 8m of both today. I know its cold, but after a soak in water
they will be up in a few days.(fingers and toes crossed).
Well we can't let the weather hold us up, can we.
They grow or die. I have enough to do it all again.
I expect the broad beans will do it, but the peas may not so will sow them
again when it warms up a bit.

God only knows when we can plant out our brassis.
Baz
Old 06-04-2013, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Friday, 5 April 2013 20:53:43 UTC+1, Baz wrote:
Sown 2 rows of 8m of both today. I know its cold, but after a soak in water they will be up in a few days.(fingers and toes crossed). Well we can't let the weather hold us up, can we. They grow or die. I have enough to do it all again. I expect the broad beans will do it, but the peas may not so will sow them again when it warms up a bit. God only knows when we can plant out our brassis. Baz

I am amazed that you are sowing peas directly in the soil.On our allotment,it used to be possible,but mice eating all of the seed is now the norm.So everyone sows their seed,either in a piece of guttering or in a seed tray,and plants them out 4" apart-in that way one gets a full well spaced row.The theory is that mice like peas when they initially swell after a couple of days-they are very sweet then.However,when the peas throw out a shoot the sugar gets used up in the growth and the remaining pea attached to the growing pea,tastes of starch.Mice sometimes taste mine,but after a couple leave them on top in disgust.
Michael
Old 06-04-2013, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/04/2013 11:03, michael wrote:
[...]

I remember my mother soaking the peas over night in paraffin before
sowing, this was to stop the mice eating them, that was 60+ years ago.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote

michael wrote:
, Baz wrote:
[...]

Tried that David but it didn't work for me, strange mice here obviously.
Some on our site appear to be able to grow straight into the ground and I
did it one year with success, but only once, I now use the guttering method.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 06 Apr 2013 11:21:17 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

[...]

My mother put a drop of glue on each pea to stop anything eating them.
We kids thought it was to keep them in the soil!

Steve

Old 06-04-2013, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

michael wrote in
:

[...]

We have ferrel cats on our site so that might stop the mice.
Everyone on the allotment that I have talked to sow pea seed directly into
the soil. I will be sowing at home too, probably a double 6m row tomorrow.
Makes it easier when cooking new peas at home, or eaten raw as a sugary
snack.(most never get to the kitchen). I use the pods to make wine.

Baz
Old 06-04-2013, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Saturday, 6 April 2013 11:44:52 UTC+1, Bob Hobden wrote:
Tried that David but it didn't work for me, strange mice here obviously.

Some on our site appear to be able to grow straight into the ground and I

did it one year with success, but only once, I now use the guttering method.

--

I used the guttering method as usual and just as they reached the point where most are showing through the compost and I wanted to put them out in the (mouseproofed) coldframe the cold snap started. I hesitated instinctively but experience and my wife said 'just do it'
The last snow went from the garden yesterday (there'd been over 10") and temp down to -3.

Rod