Old 06-04-2013, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Broad beans and peas.

michael wrote in
:

On Friday, 5 April 2013 20:53:43 UTC+1, Baz wrote:
Sown 2 rows of 8m of both today. I know its cold, but after a soak in
wat

er they will be up in a few days.(fingers and toes crossed). Well we
can't let the weather hold us up, can we. They grow or die. I have
enough to do it all again. I expect the broad beans will do it, but
the peas may not so will sow them again when it warms up a bit. God
only knows when we can plant out our brassis. Baz

I am amazed that you are sowing peas directly in the soil.On our
allotment,it used to be possible,but mice eating all of the seed is
now the norm.So everyone sows their seed,either in a piece of
guttering or in a seed tray,and plants them out 4" apart-in that way
one gets a full well spaced row.The theory is that mice like peas when
they initially swell after a couple of days-they are very sweet
then.However,when the peas throw out a shoot the sugar gets used up in
the growth and the remaining pea attached to the growing pea,tastes of
starch.Mice sometimes taste mine,but after a couple leave them on top
in disgust. Michael

We have ferrel cats on our site so that might stop the mice.
Everyone on the allotment that I have talked to sow pea seed directly into
the soil. I will be sowing at home too, probably a double 6m row tomorrow.
Makes it easier when cooking new peas at home, or eaten raw as a sugary
snack.(most never get to the kitchen). I use the pods to make wine.

Baz