Old 09-04-2013, 06:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_12_] Billy[_12_] is offline

Default OT but a welcome bit of brightness

In article ,
songbird wrote:

Ecnerwal wrote:
Billy wrote:

I thank you for introducing me to Permies; http://www.permies.com/.
What groups does Jay Green post in, or is it just Permies?

Several farming and poultry sites; when I was researching the use of
fermented feeds, his stuff came up in several places since he's someone
who does it and posts about it.

Be aware that permies is somewhat prone to being what its owner wants to
hear - minor discussion is allowed, major disagreements vanish into thin
air, leaving only what he agrees with (not even a "post deleted by
moderator" message.) I thought more highly of it before I saw that
happen a few times.

yuck, yeah that's a turn off.

I haven't been back much since then. I prefer to
talk with grown ups, or wise children.

i'll talk to anyone (and apparently i have no
sense of knowing when someone i'm talking to is
drunk because i've had several happenings that
would have been better avoided had i noticed
the person was smashed).

I like tree and bush crops and "permanent agriculture." When lazy and
efficient are the same thing, I'm all for that kind of lazy.

i'm ok with some dirt moving for annual
crops, cover crops, green manures and for digging
up and dividing perennials. that's not the
majority of what is going on here.

by far the most heavy work i do each season is
to try to mitigate mistakes that others are
making. right now i'm looking at minimally three
weeks of this season that are or will be wasted
due to the negative actions of others. that's
from this point. in a few weeks there might be
other things added to this list. the good news
is that at least by spending the extra day this
week i'll head off two-thirds of a future major
pile of BS. i'll take my victories where i can
find them...

permaculture-with-a-capital-P seems to be more about paying money to
take courses to get certified to teach courses that you charge people
money for so they can get certified, in my somewhat jaundiced view. I
don't find it all that compelling, though it has produced some materials
I think worthy of a read, so long as I'm not paying an arm and a leg for
them, or required to believe (or pretend to believe) everything in
them...but there are also good books on the subject that predate the
certification-mad folks.

yep, i was noticing this trend and then the
usual call for organizing a regulating organization
to make sure things were ok. all a bunch of yuck
pretty similar to how "Organic" was corrupted by
organizations and governmental fiddling.

anyone with a little time can find quite a few
good references from "the old days.". i've been
working on a list the past few weeks. when i get it
done and posted i'll post a link to it.

i like to go around and look at projects and
see if they've lasted and what the results have
been. some are quite impressive. others folded
due to lack of funding (it wasn't really
permaculture then was it?) yet, if they've
improved an area even a little and made it better
then at least they've not done as much harm as
could be done by more destructive methods.

the bones of projects are well worth examining.
you can learn a lot. what works years later even
when the maintenance folks are gone are the kinds
of things you want to do yourself. learning by
observing.

songbird

Besides the BBCs A Farm for a Future, the book ,
Gaia's Garden, Second Edition: A Guide To Home-Scale Permaculture
(Paperback)
by Toby Hemenway
http://www.amazon.com/Gaias-Garden-S...culture/dp/160
3580298/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271266976&sr=1-1
(It's at the library)

is a good introduction to permaculture.

Looking at some of what's available for permaculture on the internet
suddenly reminds me of the dictum of one of our local madams, Sally
Stanford, "Never give away anything that you can sell."

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.