Old 09-04-2013, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bertie Doe Bertie Doe is offline

Default Agapanthas (African Lilly)

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

Agapanthus come in several species and many hybrids. Some are
deciduous and some, evergreen. I appear to have both in my garden. The
deciduous types die right back in the autumn and come through the
winter much better than the evergreen one, which slowly collapses into
a smelly heap of slime as the frosts get at it (seldom lower than
-2C). Last year (i.e. winter 2011/2012) I actually made an effort to
protect the evergreen one, and it produced a flower for the first time
in several years. It was seed-grown, and I was unimpressed with the
colour (a bit wishy-washy; I like strong colours in all my plants), so
I didn't protect it this year, and I'll probably dig it out in a few
weeks time and put something else in it's place. Most of my deciduous
ones are dark blue varieties or hybrids of A. inapertus, with flowers
that hang down from the top of the stem, rather than standing up and
forming a 'globe' of flowers.

I've lost the label, but this one is evergreen and this is the first Winter
that it hasn't been reduced to a puddle of slime. I guess this is thanks to
the fleece. If it doesn't produce flowers this year, I'll replace it with
something hardy. I'll have a look at your rhs link, thanks.