Old 09-04-2013, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Agapanthas (African Lilly)

Summer 2009 we purchased a plant in flower. In fact it was the only time it
flowered, despite mulching and a tomato feed.

This Winter I've protected it with a fleece covered box and the leaves look
slightly healthier than previous winters. Anyone living on an exposed
location, had any problems with the AL? We're 500' up and East facing. TIA.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message
Summer 2009 we purchased a plant in flower. In fact it was the only time
it flowered, despite mulching and a tomato feed.

This Winter I've protected it with a fleece covered box and the leaves
look slightly healthier than previous winters. Anyone living on an exposed
location, had any problems with the AL? We're 500' up and East facing.
TIA.

Eastern slopes of Dartmoor or Northern Highlands of Scotland?

Phil

Old 09-04-2013, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message ...

Summer 2009 we purchased a plant in flower. In fact it was the only time it
flowered, despite mulching and a tomato feed.

This Winter I've protected it with a fleece covered box and the leaves look
slightly healthier than previous winters. Anyone living on an exposed
location, had any problems with the AL? We're 500' up and East facing. TIA.

.................................................. ..................

We are 100 feet up and East facing and our Agapanthus have not even poked
their heads out from the soil. Normally no trouble at all, they just grow!

Mike

Old 09-04-2013, 10:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Bertie Doe wrote:

Summer 2009 we purchased a plant in flower. In fact it was the only
time it flowered, despite mulching and a tomato feed.

This Winter I've protected it with a fleece covered box and the
leaves look slightly healthier than previous winters. Anyone living
on an exposed location, had any problems with the AL? We're 500' up
and East facing. TIA.

I'll await any answers with interest.

I bought one in a pot last year. The advice was to protect it over
winter, perferably in a greenhouse.

As I don't have a greenhouse, I put it in the shed, fairly high up near
the window (again, advice was that this would be OK). I haven't taken
it out yet as I want to wait for worst of the frosts to be over. It
doesn't look particularly great at the moment, but I've no reference to
compare it with at the moment!

--
Chris
Old 09-04-2013, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Phil Gurr" wrote in message ...

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message
Anyone living on an exposed location, had any problems with the AL? We're
500' up and East facing. TIA.

Eastern slopes of Dartmoor or Northern Highlands of Scotland?

I can just see the tips of the Tors, so I guess we get Dartmoor Winters. 2
years ago I lost 2 (grafted) dwarf cherry trees and a 7 year old wisteria.
Protecting the wisteria was not an option as it had spread around 2 sides of
the garage.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"CT" wrote in message ...

I'll await any answers with interest.

I bought one in a pot last year. The advice was to protect it over
winter, perferably in a greenhouse.

As I don't have a greenhouse, I put it in the shed, fairly high up near
the window (again, advice was that this would be OK). I haven't taken
it out yet as I want to wait for worst of the frosts to be over. It
doesn't look particularly great at the moment, but I've no reference to
compare it with at the moment!

That's interesting, so they do need some form of protection. I'll keep the
fleece on for a couple more weeks.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message

Agapanthus come in several species and many hybrids. Some are
deciduous and some, evergreen. I appear to have both in my garden. The
deciduous types die right back in the autumn and come through the
winter much better than the evergreen one, which slowly collapses into
a smelly heap of slime as the frosts get at it (seldom lower than
-2C). Last year (i.e. winter 2011/2012) I actually made an effort to
protect the evergreen one, and it produced a flower for the first time
in several years. It was seed-grown, and I was unimpressed with the
colour (a bit wishy-washy; I like strong colours in all my plants), so
I didn't protect it this year, and I'll probably dig it out in a few
weeks time and put something else in it's place. Most of my deciduous
ones are dark blue varieties or hybrids of A. inapertus, with flowers
that hang down from the top of the stem, rather than standing up and
forming a 'globe' of flowers.

I've lost the label, but this one is evergreen and this is the first Winter
that it hasn't been reduced to a puddle of slime. I guess this is thanks to
the fleece. If it doesn't produce flowers this year, I'll replace it with
something hardy. I'll have a look at your rhs link, thanks.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message ...

We are 100 feet up and East facing and our Agapanthus have not even poked
their heads out from the soil. Normally no trouble at all, they just grow!

Having just looked at the RHS link mentioned by Chris, yours could be the
deciduous variety, which I may try, if my evergreen fails to flower.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-09 21:27:37 +0100, Bertie Doe said:

"Phil Gurr" wrote in message ...

"Bertie Doe" wrote in message
Anyone living on an exposed location, had any problems with the AL?
We're 500' up and East facing. TIA.

Eastern slopes of Dartmoor or Northern Highlands of Scotland?

I can just see the tips of the Tors, so I guess we get Dartmoor
Winters. 2 years ago I lost 2 (grafted) dwarf cherry trees and a 7 year
old wisteria. Protecting the wisteria was not an option as it had
spread around 2 sides of the garage.

We can see Dartmoor clearly from the top of the hill leading out of our
village but it seems to protect us in some way. It doesn't always
apply, of course but we think that the worst of the weather hits the
moor before travelling south to us!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com