Old 13-04-2013, 01:35 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Lawnmowers ??

"Bob F" wrote:
marksmithlfc wrote:
Hi all this is my first post and whole reason for joining I have
inherited my dads Petrol Honda HRX537 hydrostatic Mulching key start
mower in near showroom condition .
Problem I have with it now is 1: I cannot find the the battery charger
to use the key start , which hence does anyone know where I may find
one from ??

2: It starts by pulley, but I want to use the key start for reasons
its easier to do this way , it turns over but nothing happens when I
use the key start .Can anyone think what problem may be ??

If it turns over, the battery is working.
Chances are it need to have old gas
removed, new gas added, and a squirt of gas in the carburator to get it to fire.
If it fires, but doesn't keep running, try several times. If it still doesn't
keep running, get the carb cleaned.

The OP says it *starts* manually ("by pulley"). If it starts manually
then the gas/carborator is fine. The OP says with key start "it turns
over but nothing happens"... I'll assume "nothing happens" means it
does not start... the only thing I can conclude is that if it turns
over but doesn't start the battery is too weak to crank the motor fast
enough to start. I will assume that with that model the battery
normally charges while the engine is running, so start it with the
crank and let it run for about ten minutes. Then shut it off and try
the key start, if it still won't start I will assume the battery may
not hold enough charge and it needs a new battery... but maybe it
doesn't charge while running and the battery needs to be charged with
a battery charger... everyone who owns any battery start vehicals
needs a battery charger anyway... a very serviceable charger for home
use costs less than $50. Had I inherited a Honda mower that was
problematic first thing I'd do is bring it to an authorized repair
shop for a tune up... Honda mowers are quite expensive so are worth
the cost of a pro diagnosis/tune up... electric start models can cost
well over $1,000. It's silly to ask folks who don't even know which
model Honda to make wild guesses... especially when the OP gives so
imprecise an explanation. At least with a model number one can access
the owner's manual on line and perhaps it contains sections on
maintenence and trouble shooting. One can also call Honda directly
and ask to speak with customer service/technical support.
http://powerequipment.honda.com/lawn-mowers
http://powerequipment.honda.com/support/owners-manuals
http://powerequipment.honda.com/support/contact-us
http://powerequipment.honda.com/supp...sked-questions