Old 09-04-2013, 07:17 PM
Registered User

Red face Lawnmowers ??

Hi all this is my first post and whole reason for joining I have inherited my dads Petrol Honda HRX537 hydrostatic Mulching key start mower in near showroom condition .
Problem I have with it now is 1: I cannot find the the battery charger to use the key start , which hence does anyone know where I may find one from ??

2: It starts by pulley, but I want to use the key start for reasons its easier to do this way , it turns over but nothing happens when I use the key start .Can anyone think what problem may be ??
Old 10-04-2013, 01:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Lawnmowers ??

On Tue, 9 Apr 2013 18:17:14 +0000, marksmithlfc
wrote:

Hi all this is my first post and whole reason for joining I have
inherited my dads Petrol Honda HRX537 hydrostatic Mulching key start
mower in near showroom condition .
Problem I have with it now is 1: I cannot find the the battery charger
to use the key start , which hence does anyone know where I may find one
from ??

2: It starts by pulley, but I want to use the key start for reasons its
easier to do this way , it turns over but nothing happens when I use the
key start .Can anyone think what problem may be ??

Any automobile battery charger will charge it, but it may not hold a
charge, it may need a new battery, only one way to find out.
Everyone who drives an automobile or any vehicle with a battery needs
a charger, they are rather inexpensive, a very servicable one will
cost about $50... this will do, I have one just like it only I bought
mine about 20 years ago, been a lifesaver many a time:
http://www.sears.com/diehard-10-2-50..._tnt=39869:4:0

Old 10-04-2013, 03:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

marksmithlfc wrote:
Hi all this is my first post and whole reason for joining I have
inherited my dads Petrol Honda HRX537 hydrostatic Mulching key start
mower in near showroom condition .
Problem I have with it now is 1: I cannot find the the battery charger
to use the key start , which hence does anyone know where I may find
one from ??

Have you considered asking Honda where to get a charger or if in fact it is
necessary?

2: It starts by pulley, but I want to use the key start for reasons
its easier to do this way , it turns over but nothing happens when I
use the key start .Can anyone think what problem may be ??

Is the external charger the only way to recharge it or is the model
self-charging? I don't know but if it recharges itself, running it for a
while after a manual start might do the trick. Maybe you could begin by
downloading the product manual from Honda, this may be better than guessing.

If you really need an external charger make sure the voltage is correct
(perhaps get one to suit it from your nearest Honda agent?), many smaller
motors are 6V systems while cars are usually 12V.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

mine about 20 years ago, been a lifesaver many a time:http://www.sears.com/diehard-10-2-50...ery-charger/p-...

My battery start Honda used a sealed battery with a wire & plug that
plugged into the mower wire harness. No way to use a automobile
charger. I went thru 2 batteries before I modified the mower to use a
motorcycle battery & auto charger. Looked bad but worked good.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 9, 9:09*pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
marksmithlfc wrote:
[...]

My mower battery charger was a 12v wall wart, about 700mv, with a
unique plug to match the battery plug. An overnight battery charge by
something that small was needed every couple of weeks. The battery
was about the size of an emergency exit light battery. I finally gave
the mower away to a needy old man.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

marksmithlfc wrote:
2: It starts by pulley, but I want to use the key start for reasons its
easier to do this way , it turns over but nothing happens when I use the
key start .Can anyone think what problem may be ??

make sure there is a spark, that the
fuel valve is turned on and there is
fuel in the tank.

songbird
Old 10-04-2013, 06:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

http://www.honda.co.jp/ownersmanual/...awnmower&g=hrx

Old 13-04-2013, 02:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

marksmithlfc wrote:
Hi all this is my first post and whole reason for joining I have
inherited my dads Petrol Honda HRX537 hydrostatic Mulching key start
mower in near showroom condition .
Problem I have with it now is 1: I cannot find the the battery charger
to use the key start , which hence does anyone know where I may find
one from ??

2: It starts by pulley, but I want to use the key start for reasons
its easier to do this way , it turns over but nothing happens when I
use the key start .Can anyone think what problem may be ??

If it turns over, the battery is working. Chances are it need to have old gas
removed, new gas added, and a squirt of gas in the carburator to get it to fire.
If it fires, but doesn't keep running, try several times. If it still doesn't
keep running, get the carb cleaned.

Old 13-04-2013, 01:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Bob F" wrote:
marksmithlfc wrote:
Hi all this is my first post and whole reason for joining I have
inherited my dads Petrol Honda HRX537 hydrostatic Mulching key start
mower in near showroom condition .
Problem I have with it now is 1: I cannot find the the battery charger
to use the key start , which hence does anyone know where I may find
one from ??

2: It starts by pulley, but I want to use the key start for reasons
its easier to do this way , it turns over but nothing happens when I
use the key start .Can anyone think what problem may be ??

If it turns over, the battery is working.
Chances are it need to have old gas
removed, new gas added, and a squirt of gas in the carburator to get it to fire.
If it fires, but doesn't keep running, try several times. If it still doesn't
keep running, get the carb cleaned.

The OP says it *starts* manually ("by pulley"). If it starts manually
then the gas/carborator is fine. The OP says with key start "it turns
over but nothing happens"... I'll assume "nothing happens" means it
does not start... the only thing I can conclude is that if it turns
over but doesn't start the battery is too weak to crank the motor fast
enough to start. I will assume that with that model the battery
normally charges while the engine is running, so start it with the
crank and let it run for about ten minutes. Then shut it off and try
the key start, if it still won't start I will assume the battery may
not hold enough charge and it needs a new battery... but maybe it
doesn't charge while running and the battery needs to be charged with
a battery charger... everyone who owns any battery start vehicals
needs a battery charger anyway... a very serviceable charger for home
use costs less than $50. Had I inherited a Honda mower that was
problematic first thing I'd do is bring it to an authorized repair
shop for a tune up... Honda mowers are quite expensive so are worth
the cost of a pro diagnosis/tune up... electric start models can cost
well over $1,000. It's silly to ask folks who don't even know which
model Honda to make wild guesses... especially when the OP gives so
imprecise an explanation. At least with a model number one can access
the owner's manual on line and perhaps it contains sections on
maintenence and trouble shooting. One can also call Honda directly
and ask to speak with customer service/technical support.
http://powerequipment.honda.com/lawn-mowers
http://powerequipment.honda.com/support/owners-manuals
http://powerequipment.honda.com/support/contact-us
http://powerequipment.honda.com/supp...sked-questions

Old 17-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn1 View Post
"Bob F" wrote:
marksmithlfc wrote:
[...]

Hi All thanks for the comment's and Theories About the Mower , I Appreciate All your Answer's Thanks for now Mark

[IMG] code is On

steel deck lawnmowers and rust - how long do they last? Olavi Akerman Lawns 3 05-06-2003 04:32 PM
Hand-push Lawnmowers Lain United Kingdom 2 13-05-2003 01:08 PM
Lawnmowers jhultman Gardening 16 23-04-2003 06:08 PM
Lawnmowers Adfunk Internet Solutions Article Adfunk Delivery Gardening 0 05-04-2003 10:32 AM
cylinder lawnmowers? miklol United Kingdom 1 27-01-2003 10:11 PM