Old 14-04-2013, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
rbel[_2_] rbel[_2_] is offline

Default Dark purple blotches...

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 08:47:40 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

On 13/04/2013 22:04, Emery Davis wrote:
On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 17:35:36 +0100, rbel wrote:

That is what I was concerned about - I think that I will give it a
squirt with some fungicide to be on the safe side.

I actually have a little one of these planted last fall, I had it in the
pot for a while before. Mine has the blotches too. My experience with
photinia is that (in general) they're pretty frost hardy. I don't have
enough experience with Pink Marble to know whether it's more tender.
However a lot do seem to suffer from black spot, which seems very similar
to pyracantha scab. The problem with photinia is because the leaves are
waxy the fungicide has a hard time "getting in", so multiple treatments
appear to be called for... HTH.

Try adding a drop or two of detergent to your spray mix.

I have added some form of wetting agent to garden sprays for many
years but I agree that it would be even more important to add it to
the spray where the leaves have an inbuilt barrier as Emery describes.
I have been using Ecover liquid as a surfactant on the probably
unfounded basis that it is likely to do less damage than the Fairy
stuff
--
rbel