Old 12-04-2013, 07:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dark purple blotches...

.... on the leaves of a relatively new Photinia Fraseri Pink Marble. Is
this likely to be just frost damage? The damage is not evident on
other basic Red Robin Photinias in other parts of the garden but I
wondered if this variegated version was more susceptible to frost.
--
rbel
Old 12-04-2013, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-12 19:31:11 +0100, rbel said:

... on the leaves of a relatively new Photinia Fraseri Pink Marble. Is
this likely to be just frost damage? The damage is not evident on
other basic Red Robin Photinias in other parts of the garden but I
wondered if this variegated version was more susceptible to frost.

No idea why I am asking this but could it be water drips?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 13-04-2013, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-12 19:31:11 +0100, rbel said:

... on the leaves of a relatively new Photinia Fraseri Pink Marble. Is
this likely to be just frost damage? The damage is not evident on
other basic Red Robin Photinias in other parts of the garden but I
wondered if this variegated version was more susceptible to frost.

No idea why I am asking this but could it be water drips?

Unlikely as it has been in a sheltered, partially covered area
throughout the winter (ready for planting out this spring if and when
it arrives).

I was concerned that, in the event that it is not something like frost
damage it could be diseased.
--
rbel
Old 13-04-2013, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-12 19:31:11 +0100, rbel said:

... on the leaves of a relatively new Photinia Fraseri Pink Marble. Is
this likely to be just frost damage? The damage is not evident on
other basic Red Robin Photinias in other parts of the garden but I
wondered if this variegated version was more susceptible to frost.

No idea why I am asking this but could it be water drips?

Unlikely as it has been in a sheltered, partially covered area
throughout the winter (ready for planting out this spring if and when
it arrives).

I was concerned that, in the event that it is not something like frost
damage it could be diseased.

Something like Black Spot on roses perhaps?

That is what I was concerned about - I think that I will give it a
squirt with some fungicide to be on the safe side.
--
rbel
Old 13-04-2013, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 17:35:36 +0100, rbel wrote:

That is what I was concerned about - I think that I will give it a
squirt with some fungicide to be on the safe side.

I actually have a little one of these planted last fall, I had it in the
pot for a while before. Mine has the blotches too. My experience with
photinia is that (in general) they're pretty frost hardy. I don't have
enough experience with Pink Marble to know whether it's more tender.
However a lot do seem to suffer from black spot, which seems very similar
to pyracantha scab. The problem with photinia is because the leaves are
waxy the fungicide has a hard time "getting in", so multiple treatments
appear to be called for... HTH.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

Old 14-04-2013, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/04/2013 22:04, Emery Davis wrote:
On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 17:35:36 +0100, rbel wrote:

That is what I was concerned about - I think that I will give it a
squirt with some fungicide to be on the safe side.

I actually have a little one of these planted last fall, I had it in the
pot for a while before. Mine has the blotches too. My experience with
photinia is that (in general) they're pretty frost hardy. I don't have
enough experience with Pink Marble to know whether it's more tender.
However a lot do seem to suffer from black spot, which seems very similar
to pyracantha scab. The problem with photinia is because the leaves are
waxy the fungicide has a hard time "getting in", so multiple treatments
appear to be called for... HTH.

Try adding a drop or two of detergent to your spray mix.
Old 14-04-2013, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 08:47:40 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

On 13/04/2013 22:04, Emery Davis wrote:
On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 17:35:36 +0100, rbel wrote:

That is what I was concerned about - I think that I will give it a
squirt with some fungicide to be on the safe side.

I actually have a little one of these planted last fall, I had it in the
pot for a while before. Mine has the blotches too. My experience with
photinia is that (in general) they're pretty frost hardy. I don't have
enough experience with Pink Marble to know whether it's more tender.
However a lot do seem to suffer from black spot, which seems very similar
to pyracantha scab. The problem with photinia is because the leaves are
waxy the fungicide has a hard time "getting in", so multiple treatments
appear to be called for... HTH.

Try adding a drop or two of detergent to your spray mix.

I have added some form of wetting agent to garden sprays for many
years but I agree that it would be even more important to add it to
the spray where the leaves have an inbuilt barrier as Emery describes.
I have been using Ecover liquid as a surfactant on the probably
unfounded basis that it is likely to do less damage than the Fairy
stuff
--
rbel

Pink blotches on Caulies Broadback United Kingdom 0 22-10-2007 02:16 PM
Odontoglossum Black Diamond - dark wine colored blotches Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 0 29-05-2007 02:34 AM
Blotches on Phal boothbay Orchids 7 03-08-2005 03:50 AM
Brown blotches on Sambucus nigra Black Beauty leaves. [email protected] United Kingdom 4 31-08-2003 11:22 AM
Blotches on sunflower leaves Adam Schwartz Gardening 5 13-07-2003 11:42 PM