Old 16-04-2013, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David.WE.Roberts David.WE.Roberts is offline

Default Any recommendations for aparagus?

On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:33:49 +0000, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

Allotment on sandy soil in East Anglia.

We have a part asparagus bed grown from seed by the previous holders.

It would be good to fill in the other half with crowns.

Google (and Marshalls Seeds) offer crowns at about £1.50 each including
delivery.

Some are local grown and some are Dutch.

Any recommendations for variety and for supplier?

It looks as though now is the time to be ordering and planting.

Cheers

Dave R

Just noted
http://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/lon...us-collection-
pid6926.html

"Collection includes 15 crowns:

5 x Asparagus Pacific 2000
Asparagus Pacific 2000 is acknowledged as the benchmark variety for
flavour in our trials, with excellent spear and head qualities. Crops from
Early April - Mid June.

5 x Asparagus Ariane
Asparagus Ariane has good-looking stems and and distinctive, full flavour.
This purple-topped beauty came first in our trials of over 250 varieties.
Crops from Late April - Late June.

5 x Asparagus Millenium
Asparagus Millenium produces slim, tender heads and spears of comparable
quality to early season varieties, putting it in a class of its own in the
late season asparagus bed. Crops from Mid May - End June."

All for £14.95.

However http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/
growfruitandveg_growingasparagus1.shtml recommends

"Five to try

Gijnlim - heavy crops one year after planting
Jersey Giant - dark green spears with a purple head
Jersey Knight Improved - thick, but tender spears
Purple asparagus of Alberga - Italian heritage variety with purple
spears
Backlim - thick, green spears"

Cheers

Dave R