Old 16-04-2013, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy[_2_] Janet Tweedy[_2_] is offline

Default Giving in. Plug plants.

On 16/04/2013 22:03, Bob Hobden wrote:
I know I'm strange but I hate the smell of hyacinths, smell like death
to me.

we had a very interesting lecture by Rosemary Campbell-Preston who does
a lot of work with fragrance.
She explained that hyacinths smell wonderful before pollination and not
so nice afterwards.
You 'remember' the first scent you experience with the blossom so if
you first smell a hyacinth before it has been pollinated you will love
the smell always but if you chance to smell a hyacinth first when it
smells awful you will never like the smell.
--
Janet T.
Amersham