Old 15-04-2013, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Giving in. Plug plants.

I wrote here the other day and mentioned that I have sown all of my
brassicas and was waiting to prick them out eventually as and when they
have 2 or 3 decent leaves.
Talking to a couple of lads(newbies) on the allotment this morning and
their sowings at the Easter weekend have yet to show. So they have bought
plug plants as a precaution. 25 Evesham Special brussels sprouts £1.99 and
20 cabbage of unknown variety £1.99. The guy who sells them is going to be
at our local market on Thursday, Friday and Saturday and visits our site
every Saturday morning. So I am getting some as well.
The newbies only know this because the vendor turned up on Saturday morning
when they were there, nobody told them that he visits. A fortunate chance
meeting.

Baz
Old 15-04-2013, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote

I wrote here the other day and mentioned that I have sown all of my
brassicas and was waiting to prick them out eventually as and when they
have 2 or 3 decent leaves.
Talking to a couple of lads(newbies) on the allotment this morning and
their sowings at the Easter weekend have yet to show. So they have bought
plug plants as a precaution. 25 Evesham Special brussels sprouts £1.99 and
20 cabbage of unknown variety £1.99. The guy who sells them is going to be
at our local market on Thursday, Friday and Saturday and visits our site
every Saturday morning. So I am getting some as well.
The newbies only know this because the vendor turned up on Saturday morning
when they were there, nobody told them that he visits. A fortunate chance
meeting.

I must admit we now use a local "proper" old nursery for a number of plants.
Not plug plants but they grow all sorts of veg from seed and if maybe you
only want a few of one variety, like summer cabbage for example, they grow a
number of varieties of most things. Also very useful if you have a
germination disaster as we did with one of the Brussels Sprout varieties
last year.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 15-04-2013, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bob Hobden wrote:
I must admit we now use a local "proper" old nursery for a number of plants.
Not plug plants but they grow all sorts of veg from seed and if maybe you
only want a few of one variety, like summer cabbage for example, they grow a
number of varieties of most things. Also very useful if you have a
germination disaster as we did with one of the Brussels Sprout varieties
last year.

It's cabbages I'm having germination problems with this year.
And my tray of calabrese has gone and died whilst I was away. :'(
Old 15-04-2013, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote

[...]

That disaster in your last sentence is just what we want to avoid. We can't
be choosy, we have to get what we can, when we need it.
Next year, we will get what we need, ok it is just growing on some things
others have grown from seed. But at least we know now. Still sow seed, but
have a backup.

Thanks Bob.
Baz
Old 15-04-2013, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in
:

Bob Hobden wrote:
I must admit we now use a local "proper" old nursery for a number of
plants. Not plug plants but they grow all sorts of veg from seed and
if maybe you only want a few of one variety, like summer cabbage for
example, they grow a number of varieties of most things. Also very
useful if you have a germination disaster as we did with one of the
Brussels Sprout varieties last year.

It's cabbages I'm having germination problems with this year.
And my tray of calabrese has gone and died whilst I was away. :'(

That is what I am going on about. Grumbling on about germination.
That is why I have bought plugs. Not the nicest thing, and it is depressing
when you have done all the work and nothing to show.

Baz

Old 16-04-2013, 07:43 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz[_3_] View Post
Next year, we will get what we need, ok it is just growing on some things
others have grown from seed. But at least we know now. Still sow seed, but
have a backup.
Not veg, but we've started buying hyacinths just coming into flower rather than as bulbs - at £1 each, or not much more for 3, it's not much more expensive than buying bulbs, and leaves someone else the hassle of potting and growing. If it's something I care about,m then I enjoy growing it myself, but we just use hyacinths as winter room scent machines ;-)
__________________
Old 16-04-2013, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote

'Baz[_3_ Wrote:
;981012']
Next year, we will get what we need, ok it is just growing on some
things
others have grown from seed. But at least we know now. Still sow seed,
but
have a backup.

Not veg, but we've started buying hyacinths just coming into flower
rather than as bulbs - at £1 each, or not much more for 3, it's not much
more expensive than buying bulbs, and leaves someone else the hassle of
potting and growing. If it's something I care about,m then I enjoy
growing it myself, but we just use hyacinths as winter room scent
machines ;-)

I know I'm strange but I hate the smell of hyacinths, smell like death to
me.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 16-04-2013, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bob Hobden wrote:
I know I'm strange but I hate the smell of hyacinths, smell like death to
me.

I hate hyacinths cos they make me itch. :-(
Old 16-04-2013, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/04/2013 22:03, Bob Hobden wrote:
I know I'm strange but I hate the smell of hyacinths, smell like death
to me.

we had a very interesting lecture by Rosemary Campbell-Preston who does
a lot of work with fragrance.
She explained that hyacinths smell wonderful before pollination and not
so nice afterwards.
You 'remember' the first scent you experience with the blossom so if
you first smell a hyacinth before it has been pollinated you will love
the smell always but if you chance to smell a hyacinth first when it
smells awful you will never like the smell.
--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 17-04-2013, 08:56 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden[_3_] View Post
"kay" wrote[color=blue][i]

I know I'm strange but I hate the smell of hyacinths, smell like death to
me.
Interesting comment. It does have something of the gently maturing sheep about it!

There's a whole series of flowers which have a scent designed to appeal to flies, which has gentle tones of faeces about it - hawthorn, for example, and field bindweed.
__________________

Old 17-04-2013, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-16 22:03:46 +0100, Bob Hobden said:

"kay" wrote

'Baz[_3_ Wrote:
;981012']
Next year, we will get what we need, ok it is just growing on some
things
others have grown from seed. But at least we know now. Still sow seed,
but
have a backup.

Not veg, but we've started buying hyacinths just coming into flower
rather than as bulbs - at £1 each, or not much more for 3, it's not much
more expensive than buying bulbs, and leaves someone else the hassle of
potting and growing. If it's something I care about,m then I enjoy
growing it myself, but we just use hyacinths as winter room scent
machines ;-)

I know I'm strange but I hate the smell of hyacinths, smell like death to me.

I like the smell as they open but they 'turn' very quickly to the smell
you describe. It's horrible!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com