Old 21-04-2013, 08:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Grow ginger from "root"

Higgs Boson wrote:
As a card-carrying ginger freak, I have decided to try & grow plants
from pieces of the ginger "root" sold in markets. (It's not really a
root.)

Checking on-line I found contradictory sets of instructions for
rooting these babies. I guess I could experiment with 'n' pieces
planted one way and 'n*1' another way.

Just wondering if anybody has had experience growing ginger.

I'm in Zone 8, So Calif coastal. "Mediterranean" climate, one mile
from the sea.

Your input appreciated.

HB

I haven't grown ginger but I have grown galangal and tumeric which are
similar and related. It's a sub-tropical plant that naturally grows in the
understory. Commercially it is grown as an annual in places like Buderim
QLD.

See :
http://www.buderimginger.com/home/in...=12&news_id=14

for an outline of the conditions and growing timetable, obviously you will
need to transpose the seasons.

Your climate is not as warm as that but you would still have a chance.
Plant in a warm spot with well prepared soil after the last frost or when
the soil is warm and things are moving. Keep it moist and if your summer
has low humidity mist it as well. If the sun is very hot I would put up 50%
shade cloth in mid summer.

I have no idea why you find contradictory instructions for rooting it (or
would that be rhizoming it), it looks pretty simple to me, plant it and if
the conditions suit it will grow. I wouldn't be doing any transplanting.

You are lining up for a rare opportunity as a ginger lover. The young fresh
rhizome that is almost translucent with thin skin you can rub off with your
fingers and pink growing tips is entirely different to the old brown dried
stuff that has been in the supply chain for months. Cut across the grain
with a very sharp knife and use in your stir-fry or on skewers between cubes
of marinated meat........make Two Limes Chicken.