Old 21-04-2013, 06:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Grow ginger from "root"

As a card-carrying ginger freak, I have decided to try & grow plants from pieces of the ginger "root" sold in markets. (It's not really a root.)

Checking on-line I found contradictory sets of instructions for rooting these babies. I guess I could experiment with 'n' pieces planted one way and 'n*1' another way.

Just wondering if anybody has had experience growing ginger.

I'm in Zone 8, So Calif coastal. "Mediterranean" climate, one mile from the sea.

Your input appreciated.

HB
Old 21-04-2013, 08:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
As a card-carrying ginger freak, I have decided to try & grow plants
from pieces of the ginger "root" sold in markets. (It's not really a
root.)

Checking on-line I found contradictory sets of instructions for
rooting these babies. I guess I could experiment with 'n' pieces
planted one way and 'n*1' another way.

Just wondering if anybody has had experience growing ginger.

I'm in Zone 8, So Calif coastal. "Mediterranean" climate, one mile
from the sea.

Your input appreciated.

HB

I haven't grown ginger but I have grown galangal and tumeric which are
similar and related. It's a sub-tropical plant that naturally grows in the
understory. Commercially it is grown as an annual in places like Buderim
QLD.

See :
http://www.buderimginger.com/home/in...=12&news_id=14

for an outline of the conditions and growing timetable, obviously you will
need to transpose the seasons.

Your climate is not as warm as that but you would still have a chance.
Plant in a warm spot with well prepared soil after the last frost or when
the soil is warm and things are moving. Keep it moist and if your summer
has low humidity mist it as well. If the sun is very hot I would put up 50%
shade cloth in mid summer.

I have no idea why you find contradictory instructions for rooting it (or
would that be rhizoming it), it looks pretty simple to me, plant it and if
the conditions suit it will grow. I wouldn't be doing any transplanting.

You are lining up for a rare opportunity as a ginger lover. The young fresh
rhizome that is almost translucent with thin skin you can rub off with your
fingers and pink growing tips is entirely different to the old brown dried
stuff that has been in the supply chain for months. Cut across the grain
with a very sharp knife and use in your stir-fry or on skewers between cubes
of marinated meat........make Two Limes Chicken.

Old 21-04-2013, 09:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sunday, April 21, 2013 12:31:24 AM UTC-7, David Hare-Scott wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

We don't get frost -- unlike David Ross who lives just the other side of the mountain. (You DO get frost, David, right?)

Keep it moist and if your summer has low humidity mist it as well.

Yes, it is dry, thank hevvins. This area would be a desert if water hadn't been brought in a la film "Chinatown", which was quite accurate in those respects.

If the sun is very hot I would put up 50% shade cloth in mid summer.

**** Mmm.. would a corollary be plant in part-shade? I think you'll say no,no?

****Then would I be better off planting in large pot? Easier to control?

You are lining up for a rare opportunity as a ginger lover. The young fresh

rhizome that is almost translucent with thin skin you can rub off with your

fingers and pink growing tips is entirely different to the old brown dried

stuff that has been in the supply chain for months. Cut across the grain

with a very sharp knife and use in your stir-fry or on skewers between cubes

of marinated meat........make Two Limes Chicken.

(Wipes drool from bouche) Can't wait!

TIA for replies to above q's marked by *****

HB

Old 21-04-2013, 09:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

If the sun is very hot I would put up 50% shade cloth in mid summer.

**** Mmm.. would a corollary be plant in part-shade? I think you'll
say no,no?

No, you need the warmth and the light in spring and autumn so a removable
sun shade for the hottest days is better.

I have no idea why you find contradictory instructions for rooting
it (or

would that be rhizoming it), it looks pretty simple to me, plant it
and if

the conditions suit it will grow. I wouldn't be doing any
transplanting.

****Then would I be better off planting in large pot? Easier to
control?

Quicker to dry out and you don't need the drainage. Just plant in the
ground.

Old 21-04-2013, 04:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:

[...]

Yes, we do get frost at night in most winters. It's not every night but
there are several periods of 3-5 consecutive nights.

However, ornamental "ginger" still thrives here. I see white ginger
(Hedychium coronarium) in Thousand Oaks, about 8 miles west of my house.
It's hardy to about 28F.

Be advised that there are several "gingers" that are not the cooking
spice. Besides various species of Hedychium, there is Alpinia (hardy to
15F). I used to see a magnificent stand of A. zerumbet growing in full
shade at UCLA; this was about 15-20 ft tall, arching down so that the
very fragrant flowers were at nose level.

The cooking spice is Zingiber officiale, which is hardy to about 28F and
requires part shade. Unlike the ornamentals, this does not have showy
flowers; according to Sunset, it might not flower at all.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see

Old 22-04-2013, 12:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
As a card-carrying ginger freak, I have decided to try & grow plants from
pieces of the ginger "root" sold in markets. (It's not really a root.)

Checking on-line I found contradictory sets of instructions for rooting
these babies. I guess I could experiment with 'n' pieces planted one way
and 'n*1' another way.

Just wondering if anybody has had experience growing ginger.

I'm in Zone 8, So Calif coastal. "Mediterranean" climate, one mile from
the sea.

Your input appreciated.

I was taking worms from one worm infested compost heap to innoculate another
heap the other day and came across a ginger rhizome that had sprouted a
shoot in the worm rich environment. I've potted it up and will tell you how
it goes in about 18 months if it grows according to plan.

[IMG] code is On

root ginger jane United Kingdom 14 01-10-2004 01:51 PM
Growing root ginger Gregory United Kingdom 101 12-06-2004 12:09 AM
Growing root ginger Gregory United Kingdom 3 09-06-2004 05:07 PM
Growing root ginger Gregory United Kingdom 1 09-06-2004 03:57 PM
Ginger, glorious ginger Zemedelec Gardening 3 17-11-2003 01:02 AM