Old 22-04-2013, 12:51 AM posted to rec.gardens
Farm1[_4_] Farm1[_4_] is offline

Default Grow ginger from "root"

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
As a card-carrying ginger freak, I have decided to try & grow plants from
pieces of the ginger "root" sold in markets. (It's not really a root.)

Checking on-line I found contradictory sets of instructions for rooting
these babies. I guess I could experiment with 'n' pieces planted one way
and 'n*1' another way.

Just wondering if anybody has had experience growing ginger.

I'm in Zone 8, So Calif coastal. "Mediterranean" climate, one mile from
the sea.

Your input appreciated.

I was taking worms from one worm infested compost heap to innoculate another
heap the other day and came across a ginger rhizome that had sprouted a
shoot in the worm rich environment. I've potted it up and will tell you how
it goes in about 18 months if it grows according to plan.