Old 22-04-2013, 09:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Dead Wood on trees - removing?

On 21/04/2013 23:50, David E. Ross wrote:
On 4/21/13 9:00 AM, abbeygardener wrote:
'Jeff Layman[_2_ Wrote:

(snip)

Thanks for the replies. After reading them I had a closer look and it
seems I can in places track the tangled mass of whatever-it-is to thin
stems growing from the ground near the tree trunks, which seems to
confirm the vine theory. I'm happy if I can remove it. I also realized
that there are other plants wrapped around the lower trunks of the
trees, showing three different types of leaves. I've attached a couple
of closer pictures - if anyone can decipher what's going on from those
it'd be appreciated. I know very little about gardening so can't tell
what they are. The leaves around the trunks low down do look nice though
so I'm inclined to keep them - unless of course they are likely to harm
the trees?

|Filename: LowerTrunk1.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15520|
|Filename: LowerTrunk2.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15521|
|Filename: HigherUp.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15522|

I think they are all varieties of English ivy (Hedera helix). This can
grow sufficiently dense as to kill a tree.

The last photo (#15522) seems to show ivy foliage just as the plant is
preparing to bloom. The flowers are not showy or in any way attractive.
When ivy blooms (very infrequently), it then grows even more
vigorously. This can be somewhat mitigated by removing any shoots that
appear to have flower buds.

Spot on. Although I have problems with ivy (see above!) it does
provide shelter for country birds in severe winters (no need in London).
The ivy stems will have to be cut through - remember to cut round the
backs of the tree trunks, too. If you want to get rid of it completely
you could spray the ivy leaves with the weedkiller glyphosate (Roundup)
at low and ground level, but as ivy leaves are somewhat waxy the
weedkiller does not penetrate well and spraying will probably need to be
repeated. Remember that although glyphosate can be sprayed without
problem on woody stems and trunks, any green parts (leaves, shoots,
stems) will absorb it and that plant will be weakened or killed. Grass
is particularly sensitive, so if there is weedkiller run off and you
walk on it, and them stroll across the lawn, after a few weeks you will
have nice yellow footprints where you have been!

--

Jeff