Old 22-04-2013, 11:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Dead Wood on trees - removing?

On 4/22/13 1:05 AM, Jeff Layman wrote [in part]:

If you want to get rid of it completely
you could spray the ivy leaves with the weedkiller glyphosate (Roundup)
at low and ground level, but as ivy leaves are somewhat waxy the
weedkiller does not penetrate well and spraying will probably need to be
repeated.

To ensure an effective application of any spray, I always mix some
liquid soap with my spray solution. This is quite effective on both
waxy leaves and fuzzy leaves, both of which tend to shed water-based
sprays.

When using Roundup on woody plants (on the foliage of woody plants), I
tend to mix the spray slightly weaker than the recommended dose. This
ensures that the herbicide does not kill the foliage before it reaches
the roots. Yes, this does require a repeat spraying later. I forget
where I read about this; but the theory is that, if the herbicide mix is
strong enough to kill the foliage promptly, it will remain in the dead
foliage without reaching the roots.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see