Old 28-04-2013, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Janet is offline

Default Shrub had bark removed

In article , lid says...

Outside our garden fence is a Viburnam Tinus shrub about six feet high.

It has recently had a 7cm wide strip of bark bark neatly removed all the way
around the stem about six centimetres from the ground.

I'm guessing that it will now die and nothing can be done to save it?

In the ground where its planted there are squirrels and foxes running
around. Are these the most likely culprits?

Not foxes. Possibly voles (a bit low down for hares or rabbits, both
of which also chew bark). It is typical behaviour of hungry voles in
winter snow, to shelter around a trunk, and feed on the bark.

Alternatively, enthusiastic use of a cord strimmer, too close, can
have the same effect; especially when a careless operator can't properly
see what it's hitting under an evergreen shrub. Is the tinus is
growing on a place recently strimmed/tidied by maintenance contractors?

The plant above the damage will probably die. However, it will have a
substantial root ayatem and may manage to sprout new growth below the
damaged area. I would wait and see for a few months, don't rush to haul
it out. Viburnum tinus is sometimes grown as a hedging/screen because of
its ability to withstand and recover from heavy pruning.

Janet.