Old 28-04-2013, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Shrub had bark removed

Outside our garden fence is a Viburnam Tinus shrub about six feet high.

It has recently had a 7cm wide strip of bark bark neatly removed all the way
around the stem about six centimetres from the ground.

I'm guessing that it will now die and nothing can be done to save it?

In the ground where its planted there are squirrels and foxes running
around. Are these the most likely culprits?

Old 28-04-2013, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-28 08:57:54 +0100, Dave West said:

Outside our garden fence is a Viburnam Tinus shrub about six feet high.

It has recently had a 7cm wide strip of bark bark neatly removed all
the way around the stem about six centimetres from the ground.

I'm guessing that it will now die and nothing can be done to save it?

In the ground where its planted there are squirrels and foxes running
around. Are these the most likely culprits?

'Barking' a tree or shrub is a good way of killing it, so there's every
chance it will die, unfortunately. If it was done that neatly I think
the culprit was probably human.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 28-04-2013, 09:41 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave West[_4_] View Post
Outside our garden fence is a Viburnam Tinus shrub about six feet high.

It has recently had a 7cm wide strip of bark bark neatly removed all the way
around the stem about six centimetres from the ground.

I'm guessing that it will now die and nothing can be done to save it?

In the ground where its planted there are squirrels and foxes running
around. Are these the most likely culprits?
I'd have thought rabbit, that is, if it isn't human. I can't imagine a squirrel squatting on the ground to gnaw bark when it has any number of trees to go at.
__________________
Old 28-04-2013, 09:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/04/2013 08:57, Dave West wrote:
Outside our garden fence is a Viburnam Tinus shrub about six feet high.

It has recently had a 7cm wide strip of bark bark neatly removed all the way
around the stem about six centimetres from the ground.

I'm guessing that it will now die and nothing can be done to save it?

In the ground where its planted there are squirrels and foxes running
around. Are these the most likely culprits?

I would think Mice, I've had a few young trees hit like that.
Your only chance is to try Bridge-grafting
http://www.hort.uconn.edu/ipm/homegrnd/htms/28graft.htm
David @ a dull end of Swansea Bay

Old 28-04-2013, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
On 2013-04-28 08:57:54 +0100, Dave West said:

Outside our garden fence is a Viburnam Tinus shrub about six feet high.

It has recently had a 7cm wide strip of bark bark neatly removed all
the way around the stem about six centimetres from the ground.

I'm guessing that it will now die and nothing can be done to save it?

In the ground where its planted there are squirrels and foxes running
around. Are these the most likely culprits?

'Barking' a tree or shrub is a good way of killing it, so there's every
chance it will die, unfortunately. If it was done that neatly I think
the culprit was probably human.

Maybe. However, I have read that some animals do that - especially
beavers. Now, beavers are implausible, not least because that
would be a new species of micro-beaver :-) But we do have some
species that are known to eat bark, and small ones include several
of the voles and possibly even wood mice. And, of course, squirrels.

My understanding is that Viburnam Tinus is a natural shrub and suckers
under most circumstances, which will almost certainly mean that the
ring-barked stem will die but the plant will not.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-04-2013, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/04/2013 08:57, Dave West wrote:
Outside our garden fence is a Viburnam Tinus shrub about six feet high.

It has recently had a 7cm wide strip of bark bark neatly removed all the way
around the stem about six centimetres from the ground.

I'm guessing that it will now die and nothing can be done to save it?

In the ground where its planted there are squirrels and foxes running
around. Are these the most likely culprits?

Do you have deer in your area? Roe and muntjac deer eat bark. For
example, see "Diet" he
http://www.new-forest-national-park....fact-file.html

--

Jeff
Old 28-04-2013, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
On 28/04/2013 08:57, Dave West wrote:
Outside our garden fence is a Viburnam Tinus shrub about six feet high.

It has recently had a 7cm wide strip of bark bark neatly removed all the way
around the stem about six centimetres from the ground.

I'm guessing that it will now die and nothing can be done to save it?

In the ground where its planted there are squirrels and foxes running
around. Are these the most likely culprits?

Do you have deer in your area? Roe and muntjac deer eat bark. For
example, see "Diet" he
http://www.new-forest-national-park....fact-file.html

He did say 6 cm off the ground - damn small deer :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-04-2013, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
T...

In article , says...

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
On 28/04/2013 08:57, Dave West wrote:
Outside our garden fence is a Viburnam Tinus shrub about six feet high.

It has recently had a 7cm wide strip of bark bark neatly removed all
the way
around the stem about six centimetres from the ground.

I'm guessing that it will now die and nothing can be done to save it?

In the ground where its planted there are squirrels and foxes running
around. Are these the most likely culprits?

Do you have deer in your area? Roe and muntjac deer eat bark. For
example, see "Diet" he
http://www.new-forest-national-park....fact-file.html

He did say 6 cm off the ground - damn small deer :-)

could be a teenage deer, eating while lying down on the bed. But my bet
is still on the careless strimmer.

Janet

I would like to see a close up photo

Mike

Old 29-04-2013, 08:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/04/2013 18:36, wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
On 28/04/2013 08:57, Dave West wrote:
Outside our garden fence is a Viburnam Tinus shrub about six feet high.

It has recently had a 7cm wide strip of bark bark neatly removed all the way
around the stem about six centimetres from the ground.

Do you have deer in your area? Roe and muntjac deer eat bark. For
example, see "Diet" he
http://www.new-forest-national-park....fact-file.html

He did say 6 cm off the ground - damn small deer :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Indeed, but that's why I mentioned muntjac. Quote from the link I
noted: " They will also strip bark from the bottom of trees."

--

Jeff
Old 29-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
My understanding is that Viburnam Tinus is a natural shrub and suckers
under most circumstances, which will almost certainly mean that the
ring-barked stem will die but the plant will not.
.
Having pruned V tinus at ground level in an effort to get rid of it, I can confirm it will sucker back.

Some people don't like V tinus because it has a strong smell, I'm not sure whether that is the plant itself or a consequence of the pests which like to make laceowrk of their leaves and universally infest them in many parts of the country.
Old 29-04-2013, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha wrote:
On 2013-04-28 08:57:54 +0100, Dave West said:

[...]

We have voles who do this, but you mentioned squirrels and they are fairly
famous for doing it as well.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Snake bark maple - dead bark kay United Kingdom 8 24-05-2010 09:32 AM
need trees removed J.G alt.forestry 0 23-07-2003 11:02 AM
Anyone have a Ginkgo 'Autumn Gold' they want removed in California? NEEDS TO BE MALE. Kira Dirlik North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:45 PM
email address removed Keith D United Kingdom 1 10-04-2003 10:20 PM
How do I remove new shoots from a removed tree? Robin Henderson Australia 7 05-04-2003 06:36 AM