Old 25-04-2003, 03:32 AM
Iris Cohen

Default [IBC] root thread graft

Yes, you can thread graft a Norway maple branch onto an A. palmatum; but no,
because you would end up with a large-leaved, coarse branch on a lovely
little-leaved tree

I think we are having trouble with the term thread graft. A thread graft is
where you take a long skinny branch, drill a hole right through the trunk where
you want a new branch, and thread the tip of the branch through the hole.
Before doing this, you scrape the bark from the right spot on the branch to
make sure the cambium layers meet. The branch fuses to the trunk and you
eventually cut the back piece off, leaving the new branch. This is usually done
with a branch from the same tree. There are other types of grafts, like
approach grafts, budding, etc.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."