Old 25-04-2003, 03:56 AM
Starlord

Default Messy laws

The trick is that it has to be COMPOSTED steer manure, (same as BS). If it's
fresh and you lay it down thick, it can kill grass or just about anything. When
I lived in Ramona, I had a truck load dumped in my yard and even it had been
sitting for a year, then slowly I built a pile of it mixed with grass cuttings.
The 2nd year down there I started using it. BTW, I always HAND broadcast the
stuff, fill up buckets and do it throw it around, this way it gets spread out
and not heaped in one area to much. Then I water. I normal did this 2 or 3 times
over a one month. The main thing about steer is that it helps feed the mircos
that are in the soil.

Now those new homes with nothing but bear dirt, them I'd just dump a load on the
front, spread it around and water, the next week I'd dump top soil on it and
water, 3rd week I'd rototill them together. 4th week I'd lay down grass seeds!

3 months later I'd mow for the first time.

But the steer has to be OLD, composted or at lest a year out in the weather.

--
In This Universe The Night was Falling,The Shadows were lenghtening
But elsewhere the Stars were still young and the light of morning lingered: and

Arthur C. Clarke "The City & The Stars"

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Starlord's Personal Page
http://starlord-personal.netfirms.com

"Dane Bramage" WhereAmI@anyway? wrote in message
news
Ok, now you have me curious. What is the difference between steer
manure and just plain old bs? (sorry, couldn't resist
I am serious, tho. I used (once) manure from a local farm and
completely killed my patch of grass. It's starting to come back (2
years later) and looks like it needs to be fed, but I don't want to
repeat the error. Is there something specific I should ask for rather
than just grabbing my shovel and heading out by their barn?

---