Old 02-05-2013, 12:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Garden being over run by rabbits

Gus wrote:
What can be done if a garden is being overrun by rabbits?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xulXFB3-A3c

It depends on whether there is a breeding ground nearby and if you can deal
with that. If there is an isolated population that isn't too large that you
can deal with (ie on your land) then killing them may be a solution.
Otherwise exclusion is the only way.

My garden is large in a rural area where there is an infinite supply of
rabbits so just killing a few would get nowhere. It would cost me a bomb to
fence the whole thing. I used to have rabbits digging burrows not far
outside the orchard and some hiding in the building material behind the
shed. At night the paddock would have plenty of them feeding. After a
while the numbers diminished as the dog got fatter. Now the dogs keep them
away. I am talking about proper dogs that are a real threat not
fluff-balls. And the dog(s) has to be let out to look, sound and smell like
a dog.