Old 01-05-2013, 06:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Garden being over run by rabbits

What can be done if a garden is being overrun by rabbits?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xulXFB3-A3c

Old 01-05-2013, 07:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/1/2013 1:18 PM, Gus wrote:
What can be done if a garden is being overrun by rabbits?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xulXFB3-A3c

Give a call to Elmer Fudd.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/1/2013 1:18 PM, Gus wrote:
What can be done if a garden is being overrun by rabbits?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xulXFB3-A3c

Hasenpfeffer?
Old 01-05-2013, 09:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

Gus wrote:
What can be done if a garden is being overrun by rabbits?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xulXFB3-A3c

fence works for us until the eagles, hawks or
owls catch up with them.

use a maximum 1" mesh or chicken wire and put
it down into the ground part ways and then
angle it outwards flat on the ground (and
then put your stones/mulch/etc on it so they
won't be able to dig under the fence.

we use 7ft high to keep the bunnies and
deer out. if it were just bunnies we could
probably get by with 4ft high fence.

songbird
Old 02-05-2013, 12:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

Gus wrote:
What can be done if a garden is being overrun by rabbits?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xulXFB3-A3c

It depends on whether there is a breeding ground nearby and if you can deal
with that. If there is an isolated population that isn't too large that you
can deal with (ie on your land) then killing them may be a solution.
Otherwise exclusion is the only way.

My garden is large in a rural area where there is an infinite supply of
rabbits so just killing a few would get nowhere. It would cost me a bomb to
fence the whole thing. I used to have rabbits digging burrows not far
outside the orchard and some hiding in the building material behind the
shed. At night the paddock would have plenty of them feeding. After a
while the numbers diminished as the dog got fatter. Now the dogs keep them
away. I am talking about proper dogs that are a real threat not
fluff-balls. And the dog(s) has to be let out to look, sound and smell like
a dog.