Old 02-05-2013, 12:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Golden Sunburst Honey locust Tree

Higgs Boson wrote:
On Tuesday, April 30, 2013 8:27:07 AM UTC-7, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Biglarry wrote:

I've just received a Golden Sunburst Honey locust Tree from a mail
order

business.

It's about 5 and 1/2 foot tall but has no sign of leaves or buds on
it.

Its just branches. Is this normal? And will it generate leaves
througout

this spring/summer?

I presume it will but I just wanted to make sure the tree isn't
dead...

Was it shipped potted or bare root? Mail order nurserys generally

ship trees bare root and before they leaf out... they intend for them

to be planted immediately so the roots can start growing prior to
them

leafing out. Plant your locust tree right away and according to the

accompanying directions... be sure about where you plant it as locust

grows quite large and rather fast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey_locust

Can one ascertain if a tree is alive the same way one can on a
smaller plant? Namely, scratch the side to see if it's green? Yes,
it is a tree and presumably has bark,but would the idea work?
Straight question

Yes. Similarly if the thin stems are still quite flexible they are probably
alive.