Old 03-05-2013, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Indoor tomatoes - keeping the plants compact ?

On 03/05/2013 18:32, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI All

Too many tomato plants for the polytunnel (as usual) - so,
on a whim, we planted a couple in a big pot and brought them into the
sunroom.

They're both Indeterminate varieties - so the usual advice is to nip out
the side-shoots.

However, they're now both about 2ft 6inches tall - and have plenty of
side-shoots, but only one set of flowers so far. Normally I'd nip out
the sideshoots and just let the plants grow away, but, as these are
indoor plants, it'd be nice to keep them compact, if possible.

So - the question...

If I leave some side-shoots to develop, will they bear flowers & fruit -
or is there something 'special' about side-shoots that they don't bear
fruit ?

Thanks for your accumulated wisdom
Adrian

No problem with side shoots bearing fruit.
It's not unknown for the first few side shoots to be taken off and used
as cuttings to get more tomato plants.
You could keep a few shoots on the plant and let them have a couple of
trusses, they will need to be supported either a netting frame or
separate canes but remember the plants will need more water and feed.