Old 03-05-2013, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Indoor tomatoes - keeping the plants compact ?

HI All

Too many tomato plants for the polytunnel (as usual) - so,
on a whim, we planted a couple in a big pot and brought them into the
sunroom.

They're both Indeterminate varieties - so the usual advice is to nip out
the side-shoots.

However, they're now both about 2ft 6inches tall - and have plenty of
side-shoots, but only one set of flowers so far. Normally I'd nip out
the sideshoots and just let the plants grow away, but, as these are
indoor plants, it'd be nice to keep them compact, if possible.

So - the question...

If I leave some side-shoots to develop, will they bear flowers & fruit -
or is there something 'special' about side-shoots that they don't bear
fruit ?

Thanks for your accumulated wisdom
Adrian
Old 03-05-2013, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/05/2013 18:32, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI All

Too many tomato plants for the polytunnel (as usual) - so,
on a whim, we planted a couple in a big pot and brought them into the
sunroom.

They're both Indeterminate varieties - so the usual advice is to nip out
the side-shoots.

However, they're now both about 2ft 6inches tall - and have plenty of
side-shoots, but only one set of flowers so far. Normally I'd nip out
the sideshoots and just let the plants grow away, but, as these are
indoor plants, it'd be nice to keep them compact, if possible.

So - the question...

If I leave some side-shoots to develop, will they bear flowers & fruit -
or is there something 'special' about side-shoots that they don't bear
fruit ?

Thanks for your accumulated wisdom
Adrian

No problem with side shoots bearing fruit.
It's not unknown for the first few side shoots to be taken off and used
as cuttings to get more tomato plants.
You could keep a few shoots on the plant and let them have a couple of
trusses, they will need to be supported either a netting frame or
separate canes but remember the plants will need more water and feed.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 03 May 2013 18:32:07 +0100, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

HI All

Too many tomato plants for the polytunnel (as usual) - so,
on a whim, we planted a couple in a big pot and brought them into the
sunroom.

They're both Indeterminate varieties - so the usual advice is to nip out
the side-shoots.

However, they're now both about 2ft 6inches tall - and have plenty of
side-shoots, but only one set of flowers so far. Normally I'd nip out
the sideshoots and just let the plants grow away, but, as these are
indoor plants, it'd be nice to keep them compact, if possible.

So - the question...

If I leave some side-shoots to develop, will they bear flowers & fruit -
or is there something 'special' about side-shoots that they don't bear
fruit ?

Thanks for your accumulated wisdom Adrian

I think the advice to pinch out all side shoots is because it is difficult
to describe a strategy where you leave a few - just enough - before you
pinch out the rest. :-)

As David says, buy a plant of the variety you want, let the side shoots
grow, then cut them off and pot them up to grow additional plants.

This is often faster and more reliable than growing from seed.

Cheers

Dave R
Old 03-05-2013, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Adrian Brentnall wrote:
If I leave some side-shoots to develop, will they bear flowers & fruit -
or is there something 'special' about side-shoots that they don't bear
fruit ?

I quite often let the side shoots grow, and they flower and fruit like
a main stem (pretty much). Nick's mum hates how I treat my tomatoes
(she religiously nips out the side shoots), but if one goes wild and I
don't catch it whilst it's still small, it seems mean to cut it out
when it has put so much energy into it!
(I've also had stems that have been accidentally snapped, and let a
side shoot take over as the new main stem, which has worked fine)

Of course, you'd have b een better off if you'd got bush tomatoes in
the first place. :-D

Old 04-05-2013, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Adrian Brentnall wrote in news:auiaknFg9h9U1
@mid.individual.net:

If I leave some side-shoots to develop, will they bear flowers & fruit -
or is there something 'special' about side-shoots that they don't bear
fruit ?

Thanks for your accumulated wisdom
Adrian

The only thing is for me, at least, is that the growing season is short
enough without side shoots growing and taking energy to make new tomatoes
which probably will not ripen.
I allow 5 trusses per plant, and that is risky.

Baz

Old 04-05-2013, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message ...

The only thing is for me, at least, is that the growing season is short
enough without side shoots growing and taking energy to make new tomatoes
which probably will not ripen.
I allow 5 trusses per plant, and that is risky.

When the five or whatever trusses(grown vertically under glass) have
fruited - I try training side shouts horizontally (one per plant).
The fruit is not as big but one can easily get another five or so trusses
before jack frost attacks.(November time - I use no heating)

Pete