Old 04-05-2013, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback[_3_] Broadback[_3_] is offline

Default Wood Pigeon

On 2013-05-03 10:10:13 +0100, Chris Hogg said:

On Fri, 03 May 2013 09:43:22 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

Couldn't resist this, then it was joined by its partner.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps07d0f216.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psc9a58f0b.jpg

David@ a sunless end of Swansea Bay

Some years ago we had quite a few collared doves nesting in the
immediate neighbourhood. Then a family of buzzards set up home in
nearby pine trees, and all the doves mysteriously disappeared. The
buzzards reared three healthy and very noisy offspring!

At present, we've got the lot! Wood pigeons, collared doves and a
buzzard which shot past me just above my head and took to the heights
mewing as it went. Minutes later, 4 were overhead. That has never
happened before. We often see buzzards on top of a telegraph pole or
fence post, however.

To that we can add Peregrine Falcons, Sparrow hawks and Kestrels as well
as Buzzards and the occasional Red Kite, still hoping to see a Merlin

We have buzzards aplenty here, not done much to reduce the wood pigeon
population sadly.What does amuse me is to watch the rooks chase off the
buzzards, even just one rook, though it is smaller.