Old 03-05-2013, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wood Pigeon

Couldn't resist this, then it was joined by its partner.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps07d0f216.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psc9a58f0b.jpg
David@ a sunless end of Swansea Bay
Old 03-05-2013, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/05/2013 09:43, David Hill wrote:
Couldn't resist this, then it was joined by its partner.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps07d0f216.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psc9a58f0b.jpg

David@ a sunless end of Swansea Bay

If you were close enough to photograph it you were close enough to shoot
it. They are the number one pest here. I recently dug out some brassicas
and left them on the surface. Next morning the greenery had all been
eaten. They breed like rabbits, it is one of the few birds that breed
all year round.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-05-03 09:43:22 +0100, David Hill said:

Couldn't resist this, then it was joined by its partner.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps07d0f216.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psc9a58f0b.jpg

David@ a sunless end of Swansea Bay

Lovely photos, David. The blossom just makes it.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 03-05-2013, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/05/2013 09:48, Broadback wrote:
On 03/05/2013 09:43, David Hill wrote:
Couldn't resist this, then it was joined by its partner.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps07d0f216.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psc9a58f0b.jpg

David@ a sunless end of Swansea Bay

If you were close enough to photograph it you were close enough to shoot
it. They are the number one pest here. I recently dug out some brassicas
and left them on the surface. Next morning the greenery had all been
eaten. They breed like rabbits, it is one of the few birds that breed
all year round.

But it would ruin the glass in the window.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/05/2013 10:19, David Hill wrote:
On 03/05/2013 09:48, Broadback wrote:
On 03/05/2013 09:43, David Hill wrote:
Couldn't resist this, then it was joined by its partner.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps07d0f216.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psc9a58f0b.jpg

David@ a sunless end of Swansea Bay

If you were close enough to photograph it you were close enough to shoot
it. They are the number one pest here. I recently dug out some brassicas
and left them on the surface. Next morning the greenery had all been
eaten. They breed like rabbits, it is one of the few birds that breed
all year round.

But it would ruin the glass in the window.

LOL! I shall think of that all day now! :~))

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

Old 03-05-2013, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-05-03 10:10:13 +0100, Chris Hogg said:

On Fri, 03 May 2013 09:43:22 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

Couldn't resist this, then it was joined by its partner.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps07d0f216.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psc9a58f0b.jpg

David@ a sunless end of Swansea Bay

Some years ago we had quite a few collared doves nesting in the
immediate neighbourhood. Then a family of buzzards set up home in
nearby pine trees, and all the doves mysteriously disappeared. The
buzzards reared three healthy and very noisy offspring!

At present, we've got the lot! Wood pigeons, collared doves and a
buzzard which shot past me just above my head and took to the heights
mewing as it went. Minutes later, 4 were overhead. That has never
happened before. We often see buzzards on top of a telegraph pole or
fence post, however.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 03-05-2013, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Couldn't resist this, then it was joined by its partner.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps07d0f216.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psc9a58f0b.jpg

David@ a sunless end of Swansea Bay

Some years ago we had quite a few collared doves nesting in the
immediate neighbourhood. Then a family of buzzards set up home in
nearby pine trees, and all the doves mysteriously disappeared. The
buzzards reared three healthy and very noisy offspring!

At present, we've got the lot! Wood pigeons, collared doves and a
buzzard which shot past me just above my head and took to the heights
mewing as it went. Minutes later, 4 were overhead. That has never
happened before. We often see buzzards on top of a telegraph pole or
fence post, however.

To that we can add Peregrine Falcons, Sparrow hawks and Kestrels as well
as Buzzards and the occasional Red Kite, still hoping to see a Merlin
Old 04-05-2013, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

We have buzzards aplenty here, not done much to reduce the wood pigeon
population sadly.What does amuse me is to watch the rooks chase off the
buzzards, even just one rook, though it is smaller.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

We often see Sparrow hawks and Kestrels but never a Peregrine or a
Merlin! I've just seen a dipper as we were sitting in a pub near a bit
of the Dart. I've often heard of them round here but have never seen
one until today.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 10-05-2013, 02:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Couldn't resist this, then it was joined by its partner.
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps07d0f216.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...psc9a58f0b.jpg
David@ a sunless end of Swansea Bay

Some years ago we had quite a few collared doves nesting in the
immediate neighbourhood. Then a family of buzzards set up home in
nearby pine trees, and all the doves mysteriously disappeared. The
buzzards reared three healthy and very noisy offspring!

Had the same problem but with sparrowhawks, I lost all the collared doves.
They are now just starting to get back.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Christina Websell wrote:
Had the same problem but with sparrowhawks, I lost all the collared doves.
They are now just starting to get back.

Speaking of which .. I woke up this morning to a collared dove flying into
my bedroom window (closed, thunk). Then another. Then they both flapped about
trying to get through the glass. THen they went up to the roof, I think.
(or into the eaves and we have doves in the loft).
Then an hour or so later the same thing happened again! (just 1 this time)

It was very odd.

"Pigeon pea". Why so named? Phred Plant Science 2 03-06-2006 11:29 PM
Blooming Pigeon Orchid bk Orchids 1 11-09-2004 03:53 AM
Subject: Pigeon Manure, Chicken Manure JacKUzi Gardening 0 11-08-2004 02:28 AM
Pigeon Manure Romy Beeck Gardening 2 06-08-2004 05:01 PM
pigeon problem John Dolan United Kingdom 11 23-04-2003 05:10 PM