Old 05-05-2013, 01:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Roy[_4_] Roy[_4_] is offline

Default Aphids?

On Saturday, May 4, 2013 9:05:44 AM UTC-6, possum wrote:
This is the first year cabbages have looked like they were going

to survive long enough to have a crop, until yesterday. Suddenly,

leaves in the center are shriveled up and masses of tiny insects

are inside. My guess is they're aphids, what do you think?

A Google search gave some ideas. I tried mixing Palmolive dish

soap with water and spraying all the plants.

It may be a little early to tell, but there doesn't seem to be any

change yet. Are there any sure fire ways of getting rid of them

without using poison?

If those are flea beetles...a safe bet is the use of Derris dust.
Read the instructions. Your soap solution isn't going to work no
matter how environment friendly it may be.