Old 04-05-2013, 04:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Aphids?

This is the first year cabbages have looked like they were going
to survive long enough to have a crop, until yesterday. Suddenly,
leaves in the center are shriveled up and masses of tiny insects
are inside. My guess is they're aphids, what do you think?

A Google search gave some ideas. I tried mixing Palmolive dish
soap with water and spraying all the plants.

It may be a little early to tell, but there doesn't seem to be any
change yet. Are there any sure fire ways of getting rid of them
without using poison?

--
Muslims were jealous they didn't have their own religion,
so they made one up, with everything a psychopath needs to
Old 04-05-2013, 11:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
possum wrote:

This is the first year cabbages have looked like they were going
to survive long enough to have a crop, until yesterday. Suddenly,
leaves in the center are shriveled up and masses of tiny insects
are inside. My guess is they're aphids, what do you think?

A Google search gave some ideas. I tried mixing Palmolive dish
soap with water and spraying all the plants.

It may be a little early to tell, but there doesn't seem to be any
change yet. Are there any sure fire ways of getting rid of them
without using poison?

Well, that rather depends on your definition of poison. If the soap
solution kills the bugs, it's a poison as far as they are concerned. If
you use "natural, organic rotenone" to kill them, you've just deployed a
natural organic poison derived from chrysanthemums. No less of a
pesticide for being "natural & organic." You could encourage bugs (or
other creatures) that eat the type of bug you have, but that doesn't
work in two days time and also doesn't work if you poison the bugs you
don't want, thus killing the ones you do.

It's a rather complex business even if you have sworn off synthetic
poisons.

There are many tiny bugs, with no further information than that you have
masses of tiny bugs, there's really no way to confirm or deny that they
are aphids, or something else entirely. Step one, resort to a book or
website that helps you identify bugs - possibly also use a magnifying
glass or microscope to help you sort them out if they are very tiny.

Some bugs are repelled by strong smells and may be put off by something
like mint tea spayed on - others don't care a bit, or will invite their
buggy friends over for a tea party.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Saturday, May 4, 2013 9:05:44 AM UTC-6, possum wrote:
This is the first year cabbages have looked like they were going

to survive long enough to have a crop, until yesterday. Suddenly,

leaves in the center are shriveled up and masses of tiny insects

are inside. My guess is they're aphids, what do you think?

A Google search gave some ideas. I tried mixing Palmolive dish

soap with water and spraying all the plants.

It may be a little early to tell, but there doesn't seem to be any

change yet. Are there any sure fire ways of getting rid of them

without using poison?

If those are flea beetles...a safe bet is the use of Derris dust.
Read the instructions. Your soap solution isn't going to work no
matter how environment friendly it may be.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

possum wrote:

This is the first year cabbages have looked like they were going
to survive long enough to have a crop, until yesterday. Suddenly,
leaves in the center are shriveled up and masses of tiny insects
are inside. My guess is they're aphids, what do you think?

A Google search gave some ideas. I tried mixing Palmolive dish
soap with water and spraying all the plants.

It may be a little early to tell, but there doesn't seem to be any
change yet. Are there any sure fire ways of getting rid of them
without using poison?

sometimes they are dead and stick on the plant
anyways.

use a soft brush and brush them off.

songbird
Old 06-05-2013, 02:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
phorbin wrote:

The idea before the neural meltdown was to -- put the correct labels on
the plants.

And I saw it as such, smacked my head, and said ...doh! I'm a doddering
old mixer-upper. Thanks for correcting that.

Back to the aphids, if aphids they are - sometime simply lblasting them
off with a stream of water helps - displaces them to where other things
can more easily eat them. Or, if they are in fact already dead from the
soap solution, but still there, it removes the carcasses.

aphids Wilf & Helen Ponds 3 19-11-2003 06:12 AM
Aphids on hibiscus ame-ame Australia 5 24-04-2003 01:56 AM
Aphids Wilf & Helen Ponds 2 26-02-2003 06:51 PM
aphids Bonnie Espenshade Ponds 10 25-02-2003 03:52 AM
tiny gnats -flies- aphids David Shalita Edible Gardening 1 31-01-2003 02:14 AM