Old 05-05-2013, 06:04 AM posted to rec.gardens
Todd[_2_] Todd[_2_] is offline

Default Companion plants for tomatoes

On 05/04/2013 08:27 PM, Natural Girl wrote:
On 5/4/2013 10:00 PM, Todd wrote:
On 05/04/2013 07:41 PM, Natural Girl wrote:
On 5/4/2013 8:06 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
I've been to all the web sites; I used to print out the companions for
practically every food crop that can be grown in this area (Southern
California coastal, 1 mile from the sea. Often overcast in May and
June due to marine layer.)

Still confused about companions for tomatoes. I know what NOT to
plant, but some of the sites vary as to what CAN be planted; e.g. some
say cucumbers, others not.

Question: Can I get tomato companion planting input from any NG
members who grow tomatoes in a (reasonably) similar climate?

TIA

HB

I'm not in California. Does the climate matter when it comes to
companion planting? Maybe I never did it right, but I've planted
jalepeno peppers right next to my tomatoes and both did great. I've
also got onions and chocolate mint planted with both my tomatoes and
peppers in one bed. In planters I've got tomatoes planted with some
cucumbers as an experiment this year. I guess I'll see how that works
out.

Hi Natural,

Do you think I'd get away with mixing in a Pablano Chili (Ancho)
with my cherry tomatoes? They are both from the Solanaceae
(Nightshade) family.

I am wondering it mixing a pepper into my tomatoes would
help repel bugs.

-T

I had some pablano planted right next to my jalepenos and come to think
of it I didn't even have any bugs eat on any of those plants at all ...
peppers or the tomatoes. I'd totally forgotten about the pablanos
being planted there until you mentioned it.

Cool