Old 05-05-2013, 02:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Companion plants for tomatoes

I've been to all the web sites; I used to print out the companions for practically every food crop that can be grown in this area (Southern California coastal, 1 mile from the sea. Often overcast in May and June due to marine layer.)

Still confused about companions for tomatoes. I know what NOT to plant, but some of the sites vary as to what CAN be planted; e.g. some say cucumbers, others not.

Question: Can I get tomato companion planting input from any NG members who grow tomatoes in a (reasonably) similar climate?

TIA

HB

Old 05-05-2013, 03:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/4/2013 8:06 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
I've been to all the web sites; I used to print out the companions for practically every food crop that can be grown in this area (Southern California coastal, 1 mile from the sea. Often overcast in May and June due to marine layer.)

Still confused about companions for tomatoes. I know what NOT to plant, but some of the sites vary as to what CAN be planted; e.g. some say cucumbers, others not.

Question: Can I get tomato companion planting input from any NG members who grow tomatoes in a (reasonably) similar climate?

TIA

HB

I'm not in California. Does the climate matter when it comes to
companion planting? Maybe I never did it right, but I've planted
jalepeno peppers right next to my tomatoes and both did great. I've
also got onions and chocolate mint planted with both my tomatoes and
peppers in one bed. In planters I've got tomatoes planted with some
cucumbers as an experiment this year. I guess I'll see how that works out.

--
Natural Girl

Old 05-05-2013, 04:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 05/04/2013 07:41 PM, Natural Girl wrote:
[...]

Hi Natural,

Do you think I'd get away with mixing in a Pablano Chili (Ancho)
with my cherry tomatoes? They are both from the Solanaceae
(Nightshade) family.

I am wondering it mixing a pepper into my tomatoes would
help repel bugs.

-T
Old 05-05-2013, 04:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
I've been to all the web sites; I used to print out the companions
for practically every food crop that can be grown in this area
(Southern California coastal, 1 mile from the sea. Often overcast in
May and June due to marine layer.)

Still confused about companions for tomatoes. I know what NOT to
plant, but some of the sites vary as to what CAN be planted; e.g.
some say cucumbers, others not.

Question: Can I get tomato companion planting input from any NG
members who grow tomatoes in a (reasonably) similar climate?

TIA

HB

What makes you think the idea of companion planting is generally useful?
What makes you think that any specific advise regarding tomatoes would
therefore also be useful?

I have seen good evidence that some plants are hostile to others, you can
with some justification say some plants do not coexist well or at all with
others. I have not seen any good evidence that the converse is true, that
there are combinations of plants that are 'friendly' in the sense that each
benefits specifically by the presence of the other.

To take this further and produce those cross-tabulated tables showing all
the combinations of each plant with every other and whether they are friend
or foe is extending too little data much too far. I think you will find
that (like moon planting) such associations are traditional and based on
little evidence.

David

Old 05-05-2013, 04:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/4/2013 10:00 PM, Todd wrote:
[...]

I had some pablano planted right next to my jalepenos and come to think
of it I didn't even have any bugs eat on any of those plants at all ...
peppers or the tomatoes. I'd totally forgotten about the pablanos
being planted there until you mentioned it.

--
Natural Girl

Old 06-05-2013, 06:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/4/2013 10:00 PM, Todd wrote:
[...]

I think I'm going to be ill.

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Saturday, May 4, 2013 9:06:12 PM UTC-4, Higgs Boson wrote:
I've been to all the web sites; I used to print out the companions for practically every food crop that can be grown in this area (Southern California coastal, 1 mile from the sea. Often overcast in May and June due to marine layer.)

Still confused about companions for tomatoes. I know what NOT to plant, but some of the sites vary as to what CAN be planted; e.g. some say cucumbers, others not.

Question: Can I get tomato companion planting input from any NG members who grow tomatoes in a (reasonably) similar climate?

TIA

HB

The best companion for tomatoes that I have found is sweet basil, convenient also.

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] companion plants Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 01-11-2003 07:42 PM
Any effect of dormant spray on companion plants? Kirra Roses 16 21-07-2003 09:25 PM
Companion Plants Jack Ferman Gardening 3 24-06-2003 02:56 AM
Japanese Maple Companion Plants Berob Gardening 3 22-05-2003 05:32 PM
Loropetalum Companion Plants Berob Gardening 1 11-05-2003 02:56 AM