Old 06-05-2013, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pete C[_2_] Pete C[_2_] is offline

Default Seed library

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 06/05/2013 21:46, Janet Tweedy wrote:
On 06/05/2013 16:47, David Hill wrote:
So here is an idea for members
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/4210/

but how many seedw ould come true David? Seed companies grow in
isolation to ensure no cross pollination. Not the same as from a garden!

Mind you whilst we are talking about seeds I sowed some Acca from the
Alpine graden society
schemme and the seedlings are really quite tiny consaidering they have
to produce a tree!

Would that be right? Do Acca (aka Feijoc sellowianna I think )
seedlings appear small at first?

I seem to remember them as being very small
Feijoa sellowiana seed
seed counts: 500-650 seeds per gram

Re seeds coming true from home collected seeds.
I would suspect that all the seeds that the Alpine society supply are from
garden collections not grown in isolation.
Many veg will come true to type, though some are promiscuous. I seem to
remember that cabbage has to be at least 5 miles from other brasica
plants, or covered to keep insects off.

Mmmm, a promiscuous cabbage.......what is the world coming to?
--
Pete C