Old 06-05-2013, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Seed library

So here is an idea for members
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/4210/
Old 06-05-2013, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/05/2013 16:47, David Hill wrote:
So here is an idea for members
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/4210/

but how many seedw ould come true David? Seed companies grow in
isolation to ensure no cross pollination. Not the same as from a garden!

Mind you whilst we are talking about seeds I sowed some Acca from the
Alpine graden society
schemme and the seedlings are really quite tiny consaidering they have
to produce a tree!

Would that be right? Do Acca (aka Feijoc sellowianna I think )
seedlings appear small at first?
--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 06-05-2013, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/05/2013 21:46, Janet Tweedy wrote:
On 06/05/2013 16:47, David Hill wrote:
So here is an idea for members
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/4210/

but how many seedw ould come true David? Seed companies grow in
isolation to ensure no cross pollination. Not the same as from a garden!

Mind you whilst we are talking about seeds I sowed some Acca from the
Alpine graden society
schemme and the seedlings are really quite tiny consaidering they have
to produce a tree!

Would that be right? Do Acca (aka Feijoc sellowianna I think )
seedlings appear small at first?

I seem to remember them as being very small
Feijoa sellowiana seed
seed counts: 500-650 seeds per gram

Re seeds coming true from home collected seeds.
I would suspect that all the seeds that the Alpine society supply are
from garden collections not grown in isolation.
Many veg will come true to type, though some are promiscuous. I seem to
remember that cabbage has to be at least 5 miles from other brasica
plants, or covered to keep insects off.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

Mmmm, a promiscuous cabbage.......what is the world coming to?
--
Pete C

Old 06-05-2013, 11:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
David Hill wrote:
On 06/05/2013 21:46, Janet Tweedy wrote:

Mind you whilst we are talking about seeds I sowed some Acca from the
Alpine graden society
schemme and the seedlings are really quite tiny consaidering they have
to produce a tree!

Would that be right? Do Acca (aka Feijoc sellowianna I think )
seedlings appear small at first?

I seem to remember them as being very small
Feijoa sellowiana seed
seed counts: 500-650 seeds per gram

Small, but not unusually so. The size of a seed (and hence the
size of the seedling) is not a good guide to the size of the plant.

I have been growing Acca/Feijoa in a pot outside for some years,
and get some flowers most summers. It can be cut back into old
wood (as I learnt when the main stem died for some reason) and
seems to be far hardier than the books say. Its pot has frozen
several times.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Excellent idea, not to mention the freedom of selecting your own "landrace"
varieties that do well in your specific conditions. I've made it to the
Seed Saver's Exchange summer meet for some years now, and the cross
pollination effect is worth the price of admission.

On the way to the library. - DSC_0058.JPG (0/1) joevan[_2_] Garden Photos 10 13-09-2007 10:15 AM
ABG Library John Varigos Orchid Photos 0 03-01-2007 01:47 PM
Soil & Health electronic library Bobby United Kingdom 0 19-06-2006 01:57 PM
invitation // 4 NEW WSEAS JOURNALS and a new WSEAS MAGAZINE // WSEAS ON-LINE E-LIBRARY was updated w invitation // 4 NEW WSEAS JOURNALS and a new WSEAS Plant Biology 0 16-01-2004 09:10 PM
Heronswood Library Project paghat Gardening 0 28-01-2003 08:06 PM