Old 08-05-2013, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sumgod[_3_] Sumgod[_3_] is offline

Default Espalier Fruit Tree Advice Please

Hello Folks!

Any and all anecdotes/experiences/advice welcome with regard to espalier
fruit trees.

I have a lean-to greenhouse with a wall 7m long and 2.28m high.

I wish to grow an espalier fruit tree against it.

This would be sited in the middle of the wall. Either side I thought
about growing passion fruit or somewuch (decorative).

My thoughts so far:

A cherry – root stock? Can be espaliered but what about the summer heat?

An apricot – root stock? Not suitable for an espalier and I don’t have
enough height for a fan?

A peach/nectarine – Root stock? Suitable for an espalier?

Secondly, what to grow it in.

I have some 16”cube pots/boxes.

Would this be suitable for an espaliered fruit tree?

If grow in such a pot this reduces the height available to 1.8.m approx.

Alternatively I could break out some of the concrete floor, dig out the
mid-Wales boulder clay, add drainage and compost and grow from the floor.

Thanks for reading and being helpful (if you have!)

Happy Gardening! Chris