Old 08-05-2013, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Espalier Fruit Tree Advice Please

Hello Folks!

Any and all anecdotes/experiences/advice welcome with regard to espalier
fruit trees.

I have a lean-to greenhouse with a wall 7m long and 2.28m high.

I wish to grow an espalier fruit tree against it.

This would be sited in the middle of the wall. Either side I thought
about growing passion fruit or somewuch (decorative).

My thoughts so far:

A cherry – root stock? Can be espaliered but what about the summer heat?

An apricot – root stock? Not suitable for an espalier and I don’t have
enough height for a fan?

A peach/nectarine – Root stock? Suitable for an espalier?

Secondly, what to grow it in.

I have some 16”cube pots/boxes.

Would this be suitable for an espaliered fruit tree?

If grow in such a pot this reduces the height available to 1.8.m approx.

Alternatively I could break out some of the concrete floor, dig out the
mid-Wales boulder clay, add drainage and compost and grow from the floor.

Thanks for reading and being helpful (if you have!)

Happy Gardening! Chris
Old 08-05-2013, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/05/2013 15:29, Sumgod wrote:
[...]

Firstly I would break up a bit of the concrete, then either build up
with a layer of concrete blocks or bricks to about12 inches a trough of
about24 inches long.
Mind you with a wall that size I'd go for 2.

By breaking the concrete you will have drainage and the roots can go
down after water.
As you say dig out a bit of the clay and add coarse grit and a bit of
compost.
Passion fruit would be much to vigorous

Personally I'd go for fan trained, you do have over 7ft height and above
that picking wouldn't be easy. I don't know why you say No to an Apricot
see http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?PID=625

In the troughs below the trees you could try strawberries/
You just have to make certain your lean to greenhouse had adequate
ventilation.
Also think how the fruit will be pollinated.

Traditionally it was Peaches and Apricots that were grown inside.

You don't say where you are in the UK and which way this wall faces.

David @ the showery end of Swansea Bay
Old 08-05-2013, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sumgod" wrote
Any and all anecdotes/experiences/advice welcome with regard to espalier
fruit trees.

I have a lean-to greenhouse with a wall 7m long and 2.28m high.

I wish to grow an espalier fruit tree against it.

This would be sited in the middle of the wall. Either side I thought about
growing passion fruit or somewuch (decorative).

My thoughts so far:

A cherry – root stock? Can be espaliered but what about the summer heat?

An apricot – root stock? Not suitable for an espalier and I don’t have
enough height for a fan?

A peach/nectarine – Root stock? Suitable for an espalier?

Rootstocks etc are all shown on the following site for different fruit and
it's easy to understand....
http://www.blackmoor.co.uk/
If you type in the fruit you are interested in and also espalier you will
see their recommendations.
Certainly it is usual for the old houses to grow peaches as such and in such
a position, you may need shade cloth for the really sunny days (here's
hoping). You will have to prune your own tree into the espalier shape and it
tells you how to on that site as well.

Secondly, what to grow it in.

I have some 16”cube pots/boxes.

Would this be suitable for an espaliered fruit tree?

If grow in such a pot this reduces the height available to 1.8.m approx.

Alternatively I could break out some of the concrete floor, dig out the
mid-Wales boulder clay, add drainage and compost and grow from the floor.

Thanks for reading and being helpful (if you have!)

Best and easiest in the ground where it's own roots can search out nutrients
and moisture, in a pot the tree it totally dependent on you to provide food
and water all year. Do you go on holiday?

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/05/2013 18:18, David Hill wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info David. Much appreciated! Sorry for leaving out the
aspect. An oversight. The greenhouse faces south west in glorious mid-Wales.

As for not training an apricot as an espalier, got that notion from he

http://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/a...-and-espaliers

Quote: All plums, mirabelles, peaches, nectarines, apricots, quinces and
cherries can be grown as fans, but not as espaliers

Old 08-05-2013, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/05/2013 18:26, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Sumgod" wrote
[...]

Thanks for this information and links. I knew in my heart of hearts that
planting in the ground was the way to go. Dratted concrete! Thanks again.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/05/2013 19:04, Sumgod wrote:
[...]

As I said before I would go for Fan trained,