Old 08-05-2013, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sumgod[_3_] Sumgod[_3_] is offline

Default Espalier Fruit Tree Advice Please

On 08/05/2013 18:26, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Sumgod" wrote
Any and all anecdotes/experiences/advice welcome with regard to
espalier fruit trees.

I have a lean-to greenhouse with a wall 7m long and 2.28m high.

I wish to grow an espalier fruit tree against it.

This would be sited in the middle of the wall. Either side I thought
about growing passion fruit or somewuch (decorative).

My thoughts so far:

A cherry – root stock? Can be espaliered but what about the summer heat?

An apricot – root stock? Not suitable for an espalier and I don’t have
enough height for a fan?

A peach/nectarine – Root stock? Suitable for an espalier?

Rootstocks etc are all shown on the following site for different fruit
and it's easy to understand....
http://www.blackmoor.co.uk/
If you type in the fruit you are interested in and also espalier you
will see their recommendations.
Certainly it is usual for the old houses to grow peaches as such and in
such a position, you may need shade cloth for the really sunny days
(here's hoping). You will have to prune your own tree into the espalier
shape and it tells you how to on that site as well.

Secondly, what to grow it in.

I have some 16”cube pots/boxes.

Would this be suitable for an espaliered fruit tree?

If grow in such a pot this reduces the height available to 1.8.m approx.

Alternatively I could break out some of the concrete floor, dig out
the mid-Wales boulder clay, add drainage and compost and grow from the
floor.

Thanks for reading and being helpful (if you have!)

Best and easiest in the ground where it's own roots can search out
nutrients and moisture, in a pot the tree it totally dependent on you to
provide food and water all year. Do you go on holiday?

Thanks for this information and links. I knew in my heart of hearts that
planting in the ground was the way to go. Dratted concrete! Thanks again.