Old 09-05-2013, 01:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Well , maybe

Terry Coombs wrote:
someday I'll actually get strawberries to grow . This is the 2nd time
I've tried , and I'll admit that WM isn't the best source . Twice now
I've purchased and planted berry starts the sucker roots they
package in bags of 10 with the same results . They apparently rot in
the ground and never come up .
I guess if I really want strawberries I'm going to have to get a
couple of plants and let 'em spread on their own . I'm wondering if
the cold and wet weather we've had is the reason ... both of my
'maters have frost damage , though both seem to be recovering and
putting out new gowth . And the green onions planted the same day are
doing great .

Established strawbs don't do much until the ground warms up after the last
frost. I wouldn't try starting new crowns until then.