Old 09-05-2013, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Ericaceous raised bed.

On 09/05/2013 10:08, mark wrote:
"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 07/05/2013 10:41, mark wrote:
I want to make a raise bed for a few blueberry bushes. Without spending
fortune on ericaceous compost is there an alternative method. I'm
thinking
along the lines of normal soil with loads of horse muck or a product that
could be added.

Are you on a lime soil? Your best bet would be your own compost or leaf
mould or pine needles all of which are acid and free draining. Depending
on how acidic your soil is you could cut it with soil. My clay soil is
fairly good apart from where there is lots bits of lime mortar in it from
the original Victorian building works.

Mine live in large pots with rainwater only and don't sulk too much unless
I let the heather seedlings in them get too big. You need to net them if
you intend to eat any of the blueberries!

I've no reason to think of my soil as alkaline, though I don't know for
sure. Blueberries produce a crop but it's poor compared to say the
redcurrants etc. I think the idea of leaf mold is one to pursue and a raid
on my nearest pine woods is the way forward. Also I'll give them only
rainwater.

Have you got at least two distinct compatible cultivars? They are
generally not self fertile and need a partner to set a good fruit crop.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown