Old 07-05-2013, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ericaceous raised bed.

I want to make a raise bed for a few blueberry bushes. Without spending a
fortune on ericaceous compost is there an alternative method. I'm thinking
along the lines of normal soil with loads of horse muck or a product that
could be added.

mark

Old 07-05-2013, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/05/2013 10:41, mark wrote:
I want to make a raise bed for a few blueberry bushes. Without spending a
fortune on ericaceous compost is there an alternative method. I'm thinking
along the lines of normal soil with loads of horse muck or a product that
could be added.

Are you on a lime soil? Your best bet would be your own compost or leaf
mould or pine needles all of which are acid and free draining. Depending
on how acidic your soil is you could cut it with soil. My clay soil is
fairly good apart from where there is lots bits of lime mortar in it
from the original Victorian building works.

Mine live in large pots with rainwater only and don't sulk too much
unless I let the heather seedlings in them get too big. You need to net
them if you intend to eat any of the blueberries!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 07-05-2013, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 07 May 2013 11:23:18 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

snipped

Mine live in large pots with rainwater only and don't sulk too much
unless I let the heather seedlings in them get too big. You need to net
them if you intend to eat any of the blueberries!

I have one big blueberry bush in a pot, standing in a saucer of water,
right outside my kitchen window, and have never had bird trouble
there. Plenty of fruit so far!

Pam in Bristol
Old 09-05-2013, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 07/05/2013 10:41, mark wrote:
I want to make a raise bed for a few blueberry bushes. Without spending
fortune on ericaceous compost is there an alternative method. I'm
thinking
along the lines of normal soil with loads of horse muck or a product that
could be added.

Are you on a lime soil? Your best bet would be your own compost or leaf
mould or pine needles all of which are acid and free draining. Depending
on how acidic your soil is you could cut it with soil. My clay soil is
fairly good apart from where there is lots bits of lime mortar in it from
the original Victorian building works.

Mine live in large pots with rainwater only and don't sulk too much unless
I let the heather seedlings in them get too big. You need to net them if
you intend to eat any of the blueberries!

I've no reason to think of my soil as alkaline, though I don't know for
sure. Blueberries produce a crop but it's poor compared to say the
redcurrants etc. I think the idea of leaf mold is one to pursue and a raid
on my nearest pine woods is the way forward. Also I'll give them only
rainwater.

Thanks

mark

Old 09-05-2013, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/05/2013 10:41, mark wrote:
[...]

Have you got at least two distinct compatible cultivars? They are
generally not self fertile and need a partner to set a good fruit crop.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 09-05-2013, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/05/2013 10:41, mark wrote:
[...]

A soil-testing kit doesn't cost much and will tell you what soil you
have. You could probably get a good idea from seeing what your
neighbours grow, too.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 11-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Registered User

i have an ericaceous raised bed too. just finished it. it's got a forest flame and a couple of dwarf rhodedendrons. it's about 8' x 4'. it's two inches of ericaceous compost and the same compost around the root balls of those plants. i add teabags to one corner that's mostly topsoil. i hear you can use coffee grounds too. or a cup of white vinegar per wateringcan when wetting compost