Old 09-05-2013, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_10_] Sacha[_10_] is offline

Default Ericaceous raised bed.

On 2013-05-09 10:08:19 +0100, mark said:

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 07/05/2013 10:41, mark wrote:
I want to make a raise bed for a few blueberry bushes. Without spending a
fortune on ericaceous compost is there an alternative method. I'm thinking
along the lines of normal soil with loads of horse muck or a product that
could be added.

Are you on a lime soil? Your best bet would be your own compost or
leaf mould or pine needles all of which are acid and free draining.
Depending on how acidic your soil is you could cut it with soil. My
clay soil is fairly good apart from where there is lots bits of lime
mortar in it from the original Victorian building works.

Mine live in large pots with rainwater only and don't sulk too much
unless I let the heather seedlings in them get too big. You need to net
them if you intend to eat any of the blueberries!

I've no reason to think of my soil as alkaline, though I don't know for
sure. Blueberries produce a crop but it's poor compared to say the
redcurrants etc. I think the idea of leaf mold is one to pursue and a
raid on my nearest pine woods is the way forward. Also I'll give them
only rainwater.

Thanks

mark

A soil-testing kit doesn't cost much and will tell you what soil you
have. You could probably get a good idea from seeing what your
neighbours grow, too.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com