Old 09-05-2013, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_10_] Sacha[_10_] is offline

Default Skimmia post-mortem

On 2013-05-08 22:08:05 +0100, said:

Further to my earlier post. I moved my Skimmia to an easterly facing
border. However it also only had a small root ball... I also noticed a
lot of ants in the soil. Would ants have an impact on the Skimmia?

I don't think the ants would in themselves - or not that I know of - but
they do indicate the soil is very dry. Their presence could disturb the
roots and deprive the plant of water if they're building a nest
underneath the plant, for example.

Hi Sacha,

Thank you so much for your response. Yes the border has been very dry
but I'm now in the process of rectifying this. Let's hope the Skimmia
is 'a doer' now that it has flitted to the east border. LOL that makes
it sound like I have an immense garden when in truth it is merely 26'
wide and 34' long.

Ime, you can move a plant just a few feet and it suddenly decides to
perk up and behave itself! ;-)
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com