Old 07-05-2013, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Skimmia post-mortem

Remember I recently posted a photo of my ailing Skimmia?
I just dug it up and found it had next to no root system. It was at least
four years old so it must have had roots once. What could have been eating
it? I couldn't find any trace of larvae or fungal threads.
R. :-(

Old 07-05-2013, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/05/2013 16:23, Ragnar wrote:
Remember I recently posted a photo of my ailing Skimmia?
I just dug it up and found it had next to no root system. It was at least
four years old so it must have had roots once. What could have been eating
it? I couldn't find any trace of larvae or fungal threads.
R. :-(

At a wild guess I'd say Vine weevil grubs have got at the roots
Old 08-05-2013, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/05/2013 16:23, Ragnar wrote:
Remember I recently posted a photo of my ailing Skimmia?
I just dug it up and found it had next to no root system. It was at least
four years old so it must have had roots once. What could have been eating
it? I couldn't find any trace of larvae or fungal threads.
R. :-(

I've only just subscribed to U.R.G. so didn't see your picture. I also
have an ailing Skimmia where the leaves are yellowing and I've kept it
watered and fed it with the correct fertiliser.

On writing the last sentence I thought I better check my facts. Yes...
the Skimmia likes a neutral to acid soil... however I think I've just
sorted out why the leaves are yellowing. The border where it is situated
is in full sun... and the RHS website states:

-----------
Cultivation
Grow on a good neutral to acid soil with added humus (from leaf mould or
well-rotted manure). They will also tolerate a chalky soil that has been
improved with well-rotted organic matter. Avoid full sun which can cause
yellowing of the leaves
-----------

Bingo!

As you can probably gather... I've only just got the gardening bug,
hence the reason I subscribed to this NG. Please bear with me if I ask
silly questions. I promise to have tried to find the answer before I ask
in the NG!

--
Wendy Tinley
SE Sheffield

Old 08-05-2013, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/05/2013 09:46, Wendy Tinley wrote:
[...]

How great to find someone who bothers to try to find an answer on line
first.
Well done

Old 08-05-2013, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Further to my earlier post. I moved my Skimmia to an easterly facing border. However it also only had a small root ball... I also noticed a lot of ants in the soil. Would ants have an impact on the Skimmia?
Old 08-05-2013, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for the welcome Phil!
Old 09-05-2013, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Welcome to urg, Wendy. Congratulations on becoming a new gardener. May
I suggest that you start a new thread and introduce yourself, as it
helps everyone here to know roughly where you live and what your garden
and soil is like. You could do, as I and others have done, and include
it in your signature line, so it is always present.

Incidentally, the only silly question is the one that isn't asked. We
all had to start somehwere. Hope you enjoy urgling.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 09-05-2013, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/05/2013 15:30, Spider wrote:
[...]

Sorry to respond to my own post but, having scrolled further down, I see
that you have included your details in your sig line. Sorry about that!
Some info about your garden would still be helpful, though.