Old 13-05-2013, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default rotary sieve

Jake wrote in
news
On Mon, 13 May 2013 10:59:57 GMT, Baz wrote:

Janet Tweedy wrote in news:VtUjt.27332$Mx7.20442
:

I have a lot of flints in my soil, would one of the rotary sives
(the ones with handles on the top) be suitable to riddle the soil
for small areas? or would the flints wear the sive out too quickly,
would they be too heavy?

Janet

Depends on how large the flint is. It is easy to make a sive yourself.

Baz

Hmmm! Didn't see the original message; wonder why! Anyhows, if you
mean one of these:
http://www.recycleworks.co.uk/rotary...-pr-16209.html
I've had one for years. The heavy clay soil here was full of builders'
rubble as well as stones. This gizmo happily dealt with the rubble and
stone removal. The arms that do the sieving are sturdy and go round
under the pile of whatever, kicking the stone out of the way. Just
don't over-fill it. It's easier to use as it stands on its own legs,
rather than stretching the arms! I probably removed the equivalent of
30-40 compost bags of stones and stuff.

I've also used it "in reverse" - removing a large quantity of spilled
soil from a gravel path. Used carefully, it can also remove a lot of
roots.

It now does sterling work sieving the contents of my compost bin or
breaking up an over-compacted bag of bought compost.

Useful bit of kit if needed. The OP would surely be glad.

Baz