Old 12-05-2013, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default rotary sieve

I have a lot of flints in my soil, would one of the rotary sives (the
ones with handles on the top) be suitable to riddle the soil for small
areas? or would the flints wear the sive out too quickly, would they be
too heavy?

Janet
--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 13-05-2013, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote in news:VtUjt.27332$Mx7.20442
@fx17.fr7:

I have a lot of flints in my soil, would one of the rotary sives (the
ones with handles on the top) be suitable to riddle the soil for small
areas? or would the flints wear the sive out too quickly, would they be
too heavy?

Janet

Depends on how large the flint is. It is easy to make a sive yourself.

Baz
Old 13-05-2013, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

:

I have a lot of flints in my soil, would one of the rotary sives (the
ones with handles on the top) be suitable to riddle the soil for small
areas? or would the flints wear the sive out too quickly, would they be
too heavy?

Janet

Depends on how large the flint is. It is easy to make a sive yourself.

Baz

Hmmm! Didn't see the original message; wonder why! Anyhows, if you
mean one of these:
http://www.recycleworks.co.uk/rotary...-pr-16209.html
I've had one for years. The heavy clay soil here was full of builders'
rubble as well as stones. This gizmo happily dealt with the rubble and
stone removal. The arms that do the sieving are sturdy and go round
under the pile of whatever, kicking the stone out of the way. Just
don't over-fill it. It's easier to use as it stands on its own legs,
rather than stretching the arms! I probably removed the equivalent of
30-40 compost bags of stones and stuff.

I've also used it "in reverse" - removing a large quantity of spilled
soil from a gravel path. Used carefully, it can also remove a lot of
roots.

It now does sterling work sieving the contents of my compost bin or
breaking up an over-compacted bag of bought compost.

--
Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 13-05-2013, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/05/2013 14:11, Jake wrote:
[...]

I have on that looks identical which I purchased from Machine Mart. The
only thing I would say that it is much easier if you place it on
something to bring it waist high.
Old 13-05-2013, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake wrote in
news
[...]

Useful bit of kit if needed. The OP would surely be glad.

Baz

Old 13-05-2013, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/05/2013 14:18, Broadback wrote:
I have on that looks identical which I purchased from Machine Mart. The
only thing I would say that it is much easier if you place it on
something to bring it waist high.

ah well I am only 5' 4" so that won't be a problem

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 13-05-2013, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 13 May 2013 18:27:22 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

On 13/05/2013 14:18, Broadback wrote:
I have on that looks identical which I purchased from Machine Mart. The
only thing I would say that it is much easier if you place it on
something to bring it waist high.

ah well I am only 5' 4" so that won't be a problem

It's intended (and designed) to sit happily in a wheelbarrow which
will put the moveable bits close to a comfortable operating height. A
lot easier than the shimmy-shimmy-shake sieves anyway!

--
Cheers, Jake