Old 14-05-2013, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Roundup alternative - Touchdown IQ - dilution rate

On 14/05/2013 17:41, postmaster @ stejonda wrote:

I've bought some glyphosate from my allotment society. I'd assumed I was
getting Roundup but it's something called Touchdown IQ which is
glyphosate but as sold to commercial growers. I've been advised to
dilute it 10ml in 1 gallon as per Roundup for use with my dribble bar.

It is very wasteful to use it with a dribble bar. You get a lot better
kill with a spray wand and will use much less weedkiller as a result.

However, the info on the site below only offers dilution rates for
sprayers & commercial applicators. The label available there is
identical to that on the bottle.

http://is.gd/PnIxrp (leads to
http://www.horticentre.co.nz/page/11...t-disease-cont
rol+crop-chemistry-biologicals-growth-aids-and-cleaners+herbicides+touchd
own-iq)

Has anyone here used this stuff? What dilution rate did they use?

I think Touchdown IQ is 360g/L active ingredient for farm use whereas
ISTR Roundup sold to the public is 18% ww or roughly 180g/L. ISTR it
also says that you cannot decant it and resell to unlicensed users.

So by my reckoning following the advice you have been given will use
twice as much glyphosate as is needed to do the job right.

If you are doing any size of allotment or garden at all a decent sprayer
with a wand is a very good investment. Just remember to clean the thing
thoroughly afterwards (or reserve it for weedkillers only).

Even then you need a thorough clean before using a broadleaf specific
weedkiller on the lawn after glyphosate or you can make a huge mess!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown