Old 14-05-2013, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Roundup alternative - Touchdown IQ - dilution rate

I've bought some glyphosate from my allotment society. I'd assumed I was
getting Roundup but it's something called Touchdown IQ which is
glyphosate but as sold to commercial growers. I've been advised to
dilute it 10ml in 1 gallon as per Roundup for use with my dribble bar.
However, the info on the site below only offers dilution rates for
sprayers & commercial applicators. The label available there is
identical to that on the bottle.

http://is.gd/PnIxrp (leads to
http://www.horticentre.co.nz/page/11...t-disease-cont
rol+crop-chemistry-biologicals-growth-aids-and-cleaners+herbicides+touchd
own-iq)

Has anyone here used this stuff? What dilution rate did they use?

--
Simon

12) The Second Rule of Expectations
An EXPECTATION is a Premeditated resentment.
Old 14-05-2013, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/05/2013 17:41, postmaster @ stejonda wrote:

I've bought some glyphosate from my allotment society. I'd assumed I was
getting Roundup but it's something called Touchdown IQ which is
glyphosate but as sold to commercial growers. I've been advised to
dilute it 10ml in 1 gallon as per Roundup for use with my dribble bar.

It is very wasteful to use it with a dribble bar. You get a lot better
kill with a spray wand and will use much less weedkiller as a result.

However, the info on the site below only offers dilution rates for
sprayers & commercial applicators. The label available there is
identical to that on the bottle.

http://is.gd/PnIxrp (leads to
http://www.horticentre.co.nz/page/11...t-disease-cont
rol+crop-chemistry-biologicals-growth-aids-and-cleaners+herbicides+touchd
own-iq)

Has anyone here used this stuff? What dilution rate did they use?

I think Touchdown IQ is 360g/L active ingredient for farm use whereas
ISTR Roundup sold to the public is 18% ww or roughly 180g/L. ISTR it
also says that you cannot decant it and resell to unlicensed users.

So by my reckoning following the advice you have been given will use
twice as much glyphosate as is needed to do the job right.

If you are doing any size of allotment or garden at all a decent sprayer
with a wand is a very good investment. Just remember to clean the thing
thoroughly afterwards (or reserve it for weedkillers only).

Even then you need a thorough clean before using a broadleaf specific
weedkiller on the lawn after glyphosate or you can make a huge mess!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 14-05-2013, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin Brown
writes
On 14/05/2013 17:41, postmaster @ stejonda wrote:

I've bought some glyphosate from my allotment society. I'd assumed I was
getting Roundup but it's something called Touchdown IQ which is
glyphosate but as sold to commercial growers. I've been advised to
dilute it 10ml in 1 gallon as per Roundup for use with my dribble bar.

It is very wasteful to use it with a dribble bar. You get a lot better
kill with a spray wand and will use much less weedkiller as a result.

but an increased risk of drift surely

However, the info on the site below only offers dilution rates for
sprayers & commercial applicators. The label available there is
identical to that on the bottle.

http://is.gd/PnIxrp (leads to
http://www.horticentre.co.nz/page/11...t-disease-cont
rol+crop-chemistry-biologicals-growth-aids-and-cleaners+herbicides+touchd
own-iq)

Has anyone here used this stuff? What dilution rate did they use?

I think Touchdown IQ is 360g/L active ingredient for farm use whereas
ISTR Roundup sold to the public is 18% ww or roughly 180g/L. ISTR it
also says that you cannot decant it and resell to unlicensed users.

Ummm, I suspected that was probably the case. :-(

So by my reckoning following the advice you have been given will use
twice as much glyphosate as is needed to do the job right.

Easy to halve the dilution rate though.

If you are doing any size of allotment or garden at all a decent
sprayer with a wand is a very good investment. Just remember to clean
the thing thoroughly afterwards (or reserve it for weedkillers only).

I intend to use it just the once to get my new allotment under some
control. After that I'll do it by hand.

Thanks Martin.

Old 14-05-2013, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/05/2013 18:37, postmaster @ stejonda wrote:
In message , Martin Brown
writes
On 14/05/2013 17:41, postmaster @ stejonda wrote:

I've bought some glyphosate from my allotment society. I'd assumed I was
getting Roundup but it's something called Touchdown IQ which is
glyphosate but as sold to commercial growers. I've been advised to
dilute it 10ml in 1 gallon as per Roundup for use with my dribble bar.

It is very wasteful to use it with a dribble bar. You get a lot better
kill with a spray wand and will use much less weedkiller as a result.

but an increased risk of drift surely

It is generally not a problem provided you set the spray for moderate
sized drops you can hit things very accurately. Wait for a low wind day.
The only risk is right at the end when it takes in air and generates
very fine spray mist. That will drift much further.

If you are doing any size of allotment or garden at all a decent
sprayer with a wand is a very good investment. Just remember to clean
the thing thoroughly afterwards (or reserve it for weedkillers only).

I intend to use it just the once to get my new allotment under some
control. After that I'll do it by hand.

Thanks Martin.

I'd still get a basic wand sprayer you really won't regret having one.

Although I know a lot about weedkillers and pesticides the amount I use
per year is actually very small. Just the right amount at the right time
and in the right place - minimum inputs is the rational solution.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 14-05-2013, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin Brown
writes
I'd still get a basic wand sprayer you really won't regret having one.

Screwfix just around the corner have one for £9.99. I'll get it,
dedicate it to glyphosate and may even use it if it stops raining.

Old 15-05-2013, 08:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/05/2013 21:23, postmaster @ stejonda wrote:
In message , Martin Brown
writes

I'd still get a basic wand sprayer you really won't regret having one.

Screwfix just around the corner have one for £9.99. I'll get it,
dedicate it to glyphosate and may even use it if it stops raining.

I have one sprayer for weedkiller (any weedkiller - I just clean it very
carefully after using a non-specific weedkiller like glyphosate)
and a smaller handheld pressurised one for pesticides.

Yes. It is a bit overly wet here too. Needed it though everything was
parched. Fortunately I got the lawn cut last night.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 15-05-2013, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 14 May 2013 21:23:34 +0100, postmaster @ stejonda wrote:

In message , Martin Brown
writes
I'd still get a basic wand sprayer you really won't regret having one.

Screwfix just around the corner have one for £9.99. I'll get it,
dedicate it to glyphosate and may even use it if it stops raining.

Can I recommend the slightly more expensive 16 litre back pack from
Screwfix?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/16ltr-backpack-sprayer/50062

Can I further say "Bast*rds!!!!"

I paid £19.99 the other week and it is now £16.99.

I started out using a 2l pressurised sprayer with a wand.

I spent more time pumping than spraying and a lot of time walking to the
tap and back to refill.

This back pack has a built in pump (the vessel isn't pressurised) so you
pump with one arm and direct with the other.

8l will more or less do an allotment half plot if you are sparing soft
fruit areas, rhubarb beds etc.
For 100% coverage of a half plot 16l may be required.

Whatever, the spraying was enormously quicker and easier and more
consistent, control of the spray by pumping gently or hard was very good
and allowed gentle spot treatment.

Finally, the back pack cost less than the bottle of weed killer
concentrate.
I used a Bayer pack of Glyphosate as the best "bangs per buck" as HomeBase
didn't seem to be stocking an own brand this year.

Cheers

Dave R
Old 15-05-2013, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/05/2013 10:43, David.WE.Roberts wrote:
On Tue, 14 May 2013 21:23:34 +0100, postmaster @ stejonda wrote:

In message , Martin Brown
writes
I'd still get a basic wand sprayer you really won't regret having one.

Screwfix just around the corner have one for £9.99. I'll get it,
dedicate it to glyphosate and may even use it if it stops raining.

Can I recommend the slightly more expensive 16 litre back pack from
Screwfix?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/16ltr-backpack-sprayer/50062

Can I further say "Bast*rds!!!!"

I paid £19.99 the other week and it is now £16.99.

I started out using a 2l pressurised sprayer with a wand.

I spent more time pumping than spraying and a lot of time walking to the
tap and back to refill.

I reckon a 7L pressurised sprayer is about right for most uses unless
you are a very inorganic grower or have acres of land to deal with.

This back pack has a built in pump (the vessel isn't pressurised) so you
pump with one arm and direct with the other.

8l will more or less do an allotment half plot if you are sparing soft
fruit areas, rhubarb beds etc.
For 100% coverage of a half plot 16l may be required.

I don't disagree with your numbers, but I only apply weedkiller to green
weeds and skip any clear ground or paths.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 17-05-2013, 02:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 14 May 2013 18:37:05 +0100, "postmaster @ stejonda"
wrote:

In message , Martin Brown
writes
On 14/05/2013 17:41, postmaster @ stejonda wrote:

I've bought some glyphosate from my allotment society. I'd assumed I was
getting Roundup but it's something called Touchdown IQ which is
glyphosate but as sold to commercial growers. I've been advised to
dilute it 10ml in 1 gallon as per Roundup for use with my dribble bar.

It is very wasteful to use it with a dribble bar. You get a lot better
kill with a spray wand and will use much less weedkiller as a result.

but an increased risk of drift surely

So adjust the nozzle to make the drops heavier so they don't drift...

Old 17-05-2013, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/05/2013 02:39, Jeßus wrote:
On Tue, 14 May 2013 18:37:05 +0100, "postmaster @ stejonda"
wrote:

In message , Martin Brown
writes
On 14/05/2013 17:41, postmaster @ stejonda wrote:

I've bought some glyphosate from my allotment society. I'd assumed I was
getting Roundup but it's something called Touchdown IQ which is
glyphosate but as sold to commercial growers. I've been advised to
dilute it 10ml in 1 gallon as per Roundup for use with my dribble bar.

It is very wasteful to use it with a dribble bar. You get a lot better
kill with a spray wand and will use much less weedkiller as a result.

but an increased risk of drift surely

So adjust the nozzle to make the drops heavier so they don't drift...

Spraying closer also gives less chance to drift.
--
Phil Cook
Old 17-05-2013, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/05/2013 15:39, Phil Cook wrote:
On 17/05/2013 02:39, Jeßus wrote:
On Tue, 14 May 2013 18:37:05 +0100, "postmaster @ stejonda"
wrote:

In message , Martin Brown
writes
On 14/05/2013 17:41, postmaster @ stejonda wrote:

I've bought some glyphosate from my allotment society. I'd assumed
I was
getting Roundup but it's something called Touchdown IQ which is
glyphosate but as sold to commercial growers. I've been advised to
dilute it 10ml in 1 gallon as per Roundup for use with my dribble bar.

It is very wasteful to use it with a dribble bar. You get a lot better
kill with a spray wand and will use much less weedkiller as a result.

but an increased risk of drift surely

So adjust the nozzle to make the drops heavier so they don't drift...

Spraying closer also gives less chance to drift.

The most important thing is to get the droplet size right.
You waste almost nothing using a good wand sprayer close up.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 17-05-2013, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/05/2013 16:30, Martin Brown wrote:
On 17/05/2013 15:39, Phil Cook wrote:
On 17/05/2013 02:39, Jeßus wrote:
On Tue, 14 May 2013 18:37:05 +0100, "postmaster @ stejonda"
wrote:

In message , Martin Brown
writes
On 14/05/2013 17:41, postmaster @ stejonda wrote:

I've bought some glyphosate from my allotment society. I'd assumed
I was
getting Roundup but it's something called Touchdown IQ which is
glyphosate but as sold to commercial growers. I've been advised to
dilute it 10ml in 1 gallon as per Roundup for use with my dribble
bar.

It is very wasteful to use it with a dribble bar. You get a lot better
kill with a spray wand and will use much less weedkiller as a result.

but an increased risk of drift surely

So adjust the nozzle to make the drops heavier so they don't drift...

Spraying closer also gives less chance to drift.

The most important thing is to get the droplet size right.
You waste almost nothing using a good wand sprayer close up.

I have no idea what you mean by "A wand Sprayer" do you mean one of
those things you sling over a shoulder and have to pump up every 2 mins?
I would get a Backpack Sprayer
sprayer,several available for around £30 to £35.
The lance mostly has a Poly nozzle that throws a fan shaped spray pattern.
You have a handle which you keep pumping to get a steady uniform spray
pressure.
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...ails/051712275
Other sprayers are available many holding 15 litres.