Old 15-05-2013, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David.WE.Roberts David.WE.Roberts is offline

Default Roundup alternative - Touchdown IQ - dilution rate

On Tue, 14 May 2013 21:23:34 +0100, postmaster @ stejonda wrote:

In message , Martin Brown
writes
I'd still get a basic wand sprayer you really won't regret having one.

Screwfix just around the corner have one for £9.99. I'll get it,
dedicate it to glyphosate and may even use it if it stops raining.

Can I recommend the slightly more expensive 16 litre back pack from
Screwfix?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/16ltr-backpack-sprayer/50062

Can I further say "Bast*rds!!!!"

I paid £19.99 the other week and it is now £16.99.

I started out using a 2l pressurised sprayer with a wand.

I spent more time pumping than spraying and a lot of time walking to the
tap and back to refill.

This back pack has a built in pump (the vessel isn't pressurised) so you
pump with one arm and direct with the other.

8l will more or less do an allotment half plot if you are sparing soft
fruit areas, rhubarb beds etc.
For 100% coverage of a half plot 16l may be required.

Whatever, the spraying was enormously quicker and easier and more
consistent, control of the spray by pumping gently or hard was very good
and allowed gentle spot treatment.

Finally, the back pack cost less than the bottle of weed killer
concentrate.
I used a Bayer pack of Glyphosate as the best "bangs per buck" as HomeBase
didn't seem to be stocking an own brand this year.

Cheers

Dave R