Old 25-04-2003, 11:20 AM
Eleni

Default Hopeless lawn - sow seeds or pave?

Hi all

I have a scruffy piece of lawn (more like buttercups, dandelions and clover
actually - tiny bit of grass in there somewhere...). It's about 3 x 6
metres. I've always had problems with it and have tried sowing more grass
seed in several places in the past, only some of which has taken. It has
shrubs over-hanging it in several places (fuschias, hebes, etc) and because
of that there are several dark shady spots as well as places that get a fair
amount of sun. Another problem is on one side I have a huge amount of ivy
growing up a wall/outhouse and it's roots are now also growing into the
'grass'.

Do I dig the whole lot up and try to seed again from scratch? Is it better
to give up on grass altogether and pave it in some way? Would I be able to
do either myself? Would it be expensive to get someone in to do it? Are
there any websites/other information that would be useful for me?

Thanks in advance.

Eleni.