Old 25-04-2003, 11:20 AM
Eleni

Default Hopeless lawn - sow seeds or pave?

Hi all

I have a scruffy piece of lawn (more like buttercups, dandelions and clover
actually - tiny bit of grass in there somewhere...). It's about 3 x 6
metres. I've always had problems with it and have tried sowing more grass
seed in several places in the past, only some of which has taken. It has
shrubs over-hanging it in several places (fuschias, hebes, etc) and because
of that there are several dark shady spots as well as places that get a fair
amount of sun. Another problem is on one side I have a huge amount of ivy
growing up a wall/outhouse and it's roots are now also growing into the
'grass'.

Do I dig the whole lot up and try to seed again from scratch? Is it better
to give up on grass altogether and pave it in some way? Would I be able to
do either myself? Would it be expensive to get someone in to do it? Are
there any websites/other information that would be useful for me?

Thanks in advance.

Eleni.

Old 25-04-2003, 04:20 PM
hayley

Do I dig the whole lot up and try to seed again from scratch? Is it
better
to give up on grass altogether and pave it in some way?

do you want to be able to sit on it? If not how about gravelling it and
allowing plants to grow through? (even if you do want to sit out you could
add a bench.)
Hayley

Old 25-04-2003, 06:33 PM
bnd777

Between the ivy and the shrubs your poor lawn is having a hard time
........suggest you dig the entire lawn up and realise the true cause of the
problem and take your solution from what you find

Old 26-04-2003, 08:09 AM
Aileen Howard

We just had an old lawn dug up and a new lawn of cultivated turf laid. The
new lawn is around 110 sq metres in area and this involved levelling with
topsoil etc. It cost us £490 but we thought it well worth it to save us
many hours/days of work. I can recommend the firm, if you live anywhere
near Nottingham, UK. Of course, we were in the middle of a drought, so the
sprinkler was working full time. Thankfully we have just had a couple of
days of fairly substantial rain, which is speeding up the settling down
process.

Regards, Aileen